Advanced endoscopy job search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cholangitis

Reaction score
Currently finishing up my GI fellowship starting advanced endoscopy fellowship in July.

My ideal job would be primarily advanced and semi academic. I know there are some places that are hospital employed positions, solely or primarily advanced, with some academic focus (teaching and research)

Some general advice for job hunting for advanced jobs would be great.

Specifically I was wondering 1. When to start looking for jobs 2. How I should go about reaching out to places.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am also starting my advanced fellowship in June/July.

I have had 4 interviews and seriously considering 2 places. I will sign a contract prior to starting fellowship.

So to answer your questions specifically:
1. Yesterday.
2. I think figuring out where you want to live regionally (if that is important) is the easiest way to narrow a search. Then cold call practices/universities in the region.

Hope this helps. I can go further into specifics if you'd like. Let me know. Good luck!

How bad is job market ? How advanced can I be in community/pvt settings ?

Members don't see this ad :)
How bad is job market ? How advanced can I be in community/pvt settings ?
depends on a lot of factors. many community based wants you to build the practice. looking at 1-1.5 days of dedicated advanced cases to start with per week and increase as you build. always ask how many general GI will refer to you. also depends on how advanced one wants to do. usual community ones are EUS with interventions, ERCP spyglass, barretts treatment, stenting. beyond this would be difficult

Reactions: 1 users
Is it possible work full time as a general GI and somehow get trained in ERCP a long the way? Could it be possible at a large HMO, like Kaiser?

Is it possible work full time as a general GI and somehow get trained in ERCP a long the way? Could it be possible at a large HMO, like Kaiser?
Yes it still happens sometimes in the community, not as much these days but some smaller places,
would be unusual and doubtful at big places like kaiser but what your priorities are need to be clarified before you search and reemphasized when you are in dialogue with perspective employers/partners