Advanced Practice Pharmacist in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveysmith54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Anyone apply for it or even know what the hell the point is?

2. Anyone understand this vague criteria?
Meet two of these three criteria: A. Possess of a current certification in relevant area of practice. B. Completed a postgraduate residency earned in the United States through an accredited postgraduate institution. C. Provided 1,500 hours of clinical experience under a collaborative practice agreement or protocol to patients within 10 years of application, where clinical experience includes initiating, adjusting, modifying or discontinuing drug therapy of patients.

-Is APhA certification in like diabetes or something stupid like that meet the criteria A?
-What about just being a regular hospital RPh who does renal adjustments, anticoag, etc; does that meet Criteria C?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
APPs are dangerous. They would be unfit to practice in my state.

Is it any more dangerous than your typical mid-level at a FQHC? Probably not

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) nope, I sure don't.
2) even the criteria make it seem kind of pointless, i.e. the 1500 hour requirement basically reads to me as "show us that you have already been doing APP stuff for 1500 hours so that you can get the APP designation to keep doing what you are already able to do as a non-APP pharmacist"

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Small (largely meaningless) wins. SB 493 - provider status. APP. Still no formal fee schedule or path for reimbursement. My cynical side says CPhA just needs to prove that they're doing *something*

1. Anyone apply for it or even know what the hell the point is?

2. Anyone understand this vague criteria?
Meet two of these three criteria: A. Possess of a current certification in relevant area of practice. B. Completed a postgraduate residency earned in the United States through an accredited postgraduate institution. C. Provided 1,500 hours of clinical experience under a collaborative practice agreement or protocol to patients within 10 years of application, where clinical experience includes initiating, adjusting, modifying or discontinuing drug therapy of patients.

-Is APhA certification in like diabetes or something stupid like that meet the criteria A?
-What about just being a regular hospital RPh who does renal adjustments, anticoag, etc; does that meet Criteria C?

It'd be awesome if they got a zillion applications of retail pharmacists trying to qualify with the collaborative practice agreement for immunizations. LOL, but I suppose it costs money to apply.
Once again, our leadership is distracted by another SHINY OBJECT. We are not even recognized as providers. Take care of that first. Then all these fancy things would be a lot easier to accomplish and add to our scope of practice.
Provider status, mandatory lunch & restroom breaks in every state FIRST.

Hi all, I'm not seeing any updated threads for APP discussion so I'm bringing some life back to this one (if anyone knows of any please feel free to let me know). I know the APP position is close to brand new, but has anyone heard of any shadowing positions available in CA during the Summer? Or are there any APP's here willing to have someone shadow them? I am a PharmD candidate and looking to get in some experience before I start Pharm school. Thanks!

Hi all, I'm not seeing any updated threads for APP discussion so I'm bringing some life back to this one (if anyone knows of any please feel free to let me know). I know the APP position is close to brand new, but has anyone heard of any shadowing positions available in CA during the Summer? Or are there any APP's here willing to have someone shadow them? I am a PharmD candidate and looking to get in some experience before I start Pharm school. Thanks!

HAHHAHAHAAHA. Sorry for my LOL, just hope that you're not going to pharmacy school in hopes of making it big as an advanced pharmacist practitioner. Know one dude who got the license and paid extra 300 dollars, once he realized that there is not use for it, he didn't even renew the license.