Advanced vs Categorical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdreamer#1

I'm ok, your ok!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did use the search function so I think I understand the difference when applying. Still for sake of argument, correct me if I'm wrong. On ERAS those programs that have advanced postions are referring to the pgy2-4 in neurology, while categorical includes the pgy 1 as well, right?

So when applying to programs that are labled advanced, then do I also apply to thier preliminary IM program if I want to have them in the same location? How much money does this add then, ballpark? Are you guys using two personal statements?

Please comment if you know the answers, I'm a little slow, apparently. Thanks, in advance and good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I can tell, the only way to answer this question for certain is to call the programs individually and ask them how they handle the PGY-1 positions. I have found that some programs have outdated websites with incorrect information.

As for the personal statement, I am just using one Neuro-based one.

ok, now i'm really confused,

I'm applying for a program that has three tracts, one called advanced, the other called advanced pgy2 starting july 2009 and the other checked track has "if you match with neurology a gaurenteed pgy1 preliminary. So, if i want the all 4 years then i check advanced and garunteed prelim? Why would I check the pgy2 july 2009 how is it different from the simply "advance" track?

Quite confused.

Anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
:) I agree, call the programs if you have questions.
Some have "informal" arrangements with the Medicine Department.
The cost of also applying to the Medicine programs is irrelevant - just do it - keep it mind it doesn't even compare to the cost of one interview trip, when you include travel and (for most that don't offer it) a hotel room.

ok, now i'm really confused,

I'm applying for a program that has three tracts, one called advanced, the other called advanced pgy2 starting july 2009 and the other checked track has "if you match with neurology a gaurenteed pgy1 preliminary. So, if i want the all 4 years then i check advanced and garunteed prelim? Why would I check the pgy2 july 2009 how is it different from the simply "advance" track?

Quite confused.

Anyone?

Duh, I figured it out, the one is an open pgy2 neurology for this summer. The other for regular advanced position for 2010 for us pgy2-4 and the other indicates pgy1-4 I get it now. oops.