Advancing Retail Pharmacy Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njrph007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a question for those who are currently pharmacists and those looking at a retail pharmacy career. Coming out of school, retail offered the best salary for the work involved. I have been practicing for 9 years now. 2 years were with CVS, a few years with a small chain that was bought by Walgreens.

One thing I have noticed is that retail pharmacists quickly hit a salary cieling. Once we reach a certain amount, there is not much room for growth other than the usual 1 or 2% cost of living raise. So my question to everyone here is, is there a way to further advance a retail pharmacy career to make you stand out and possibly earn more?

I would love to hear from current students or professors in school if anything is being offered.
AJ

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a question for those who are currently pharmacists and those looking at a retail pharmacy career. Coming out of school, retail offered the best salary for the work involved. I have been practicing for 9 years now. 2 years were with CVS, a few years with a small chain that was bought by Walgreens.

One thing I have noticed is that retail pharmacists quickly hit a salary cieling. Once we reach a certain amount, there is not much room for growth other than the usual 1 or 2% cost of living raise. So my question to everyone here is, is there a way to further advance a retail pharmacy career to make you stand out and possibly earn more?

I would love to hear from current students or professors in school if anything is being offered.
AJ

I think this is pretty much true for most pharmacy tracks. To advance significantly in pay, one way is to go into management, the other is start your own business. There might be few more less common routes, like become a consultant, or become the dean of a new school. :p

I always thought of it conversely.. You basically start out at your max salary, which is rare.

You can move up in management, pick up extra days, or do drug surveys for extra cash.

Or as mentioned above, take the risk and open your own pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best way to make more in retail is to pick up extra shifts. The path of DM only results in you working 70+ hrs per week and getting paid for 40. That little bonus is not really worth the hassle. Opening your own pharmacy is too risky given Obamacare and the recession.

The best way to make more in retail is to pick up extra shifts. The path of DM only results in you working 70+ hrs per week and getting paid for 40. That little bonus is not really worth the hassle. Opening your own pharmacy is too risky given Obamacare and the recession.

Have any idea what a DM or supervisor makes?

Agree on the working more hours part, but curious as to what these guys actually bring home.

Best guess is 150-170k for a supervisor...170-200k for a DM. Sound about right?

Agree on the working more hours part, but curious as to what these guys actually bring home.

Not even close.....

Just barley above a pharmacy manager for the pharmacy supervisor. The enticementis no nights weekends or holidays.....doesnt really work out as one I know who works for CVS is essentially on call 24/7 for any problems that come up.

LOL 200k for a DM? hahahahahaha

:cool:
LOL 200k for a DM? hahahahahaha

Okay, base salary I agree that is absolutely laughable -- I'm pretty sure in retail the sups and DM's pay is very heavily based on incentives from what I've heard... I'd be curious if anyone had anything quantifiable here -- as I wonder exactly how it compares to various DOP gigs.

I dont think my numbers are that far off and in the post above I mentioned gross TAKE HOME, not base. I make slightly over 150k as a PIC working in a low volume store and pick up only a few extra shifts a year. I would imagine that if my supervisor posted decent numbers for the district they would be able to see a 10k+ bonus on top of the base.

Many DMs are also pharmacists. I would imagine that they are able to make more than a supervisor because they can bonus out from front and pharmacy. I doubt anyone takes the position of DM for a pay cut.

Im sure this is all heavily performance based, but I would imagine it is possible. WAGs supervisor/DM numbers on glass door arent too far off from the range I posted here.

Last edited:
I can shed some light on this issue as my current store partner was a DM for fifteen years before stepping back to being a PIC. His base salary was calculated on an estimated 40 hour work week and was about the same as pharmacists whose base was calculated on 44 hour weeks. Where he would make money is the incentive plan which would provide between 15 to 20% of annual base. He would also be provided a company car, expense account and stock options. The problem for him was that he would end up working significantly more than 40 hrs/wk to the tune of 70-80, and thus he makes more money now as a PIC working and getting paid for 55 hours weekly vs being a DM.

As a DM, there are also many years where you get no bonus at all, and in recent times that is becoming more common as many companies set impossible metrics and sales targets. He really has enlightened me on how much pressure current DM's face and descent among them may be even greater than that of pharmacists. I have to say, he is the best partner I have ever had and though he is very vigilant on increasing sales, he does it in such a way that ignores most of the company BS and simply focuses on service to customers and managing the store well. He is the main reason why I decided to decline PIC positions as there is little financial incentive with a mountain of additional stress. To truly make money as a manager, you need to be shooting for region or higher.

My family and I actually did open two independent pharmacies in NJ, but it was too difficult to break the loyalty of the community to come to us. After about a year and half and a good amount in the red, we closed. Its too difficult to start from scratch. The only way I can see it working is if you buy another pharmacy's files.