Advantage of MD/MBA???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc2222

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd post this in the allopathic forum as opposed to the pre-allo forum since you guys may know more about this. While doing the typical bio major, I've been working on a business minor. I will be graduating this may and entering med school in the fall. Since I've been enjoying my business courses (especially accounting and finance), I have been thinking about the possibility of md/mba. Do any of you have any insights into the advantages of this kind of program (i.e. more opportunities in policy/politics avenues, better compensation, any possible impact on residency placement)? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Figured I'd post this in the allopathic forum as opposed to the pre-allo forum since you guys may know more about this. While doing the typical bio major, I've been working on a business minor. I will be graduating this may and entering med school in the fall. Since I've been enjoying my business courses (especially accounting and finance), I have been thinking about the possibility of md/mba. Do any of you have any insights into the advantages of this kind of program (i.e. more opportunities in policy/politics avenues, better compensation, any possible impact on residency placement)? Thanks a lot.

An MBA would help prepare you for a potential position as a hospital administrator, if that ends up appealing to you. Also, having a strong business accumen wouldn't help, especially if you plan on wanting to set up your own practice at some point, or even if you're interested in the business side of medicine enough to warrant pursuing an advanced degree pertaining to it.

I've noticed positive things so far as residency interviews goes.
I've noticed positive things so far as health policy and the political arena goes with my limited experience thus far in organized medicine.

I'm a 4th year student applying for residency. What I can say is that there are more and different opportunities available to me with my dual degree even though my MBA comes from an unranked and frankly unimportant business school.

I know others that get their degrees from more prestigious locales would have even more benefit than I've received.

Business school is an opportunity to meet people and build your network. As you go through the business world, you'll soon realize that it's not about what you know, but who you know.

If you're part of a strong alumni network, then you may find doors of opportunity opening in front of you. This doesn't mean that you can't be successful if you don't go to B school or if you don't go to a top 10 school. However, it does mean that you may have many more opportunities if you go to the right B school and meet the right people.