Advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRdelgado

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how much of an advantage i had....I am not very fluent but i know some vietnamese and spanish. And i am very very very fluent in sign language because both of my parents are deaf and ive been around deaf people all of my life. If i do have an advantage then how should i use it in applying to pharmacy school and etc.....????

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think it gives you any advantage to get into pharm school outside being unique which if you talk about being around the deaf or community service for the deaf in your personal statement. However, it might give you an advantage getting a job once you have your degree as it will give you a more impressive resume. But with the demand of pharmacist I don't think it has the kind of advantage it would if your looking for a business position.

I think it is worth working a language into your application if you are fluent in it (such as your sign language). It's something cool that you could mention, but I don't think it gives you any advantage in admissions the way a stellar GPA or tons of pharmacy experience will.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't agree with YiYaoYue. The fact that you are fluent in sign language will be a great benefit for any pharmacy. Granted you won't have as many deaf patients coming in, but the few that you do will greatly appreciate the fact that you can communicate with them. ANY company will see this as something that would enhance their ability to give care to their patients and would probably pay extra for it. As for the Vietnamese and Spanish, it depends on where you live on if you will need them. The Spanish will probably be used everywhere and I would work on becoming more fluent in that if possible.

As far as having an advantage for admissions, I don't see any of this giving an edge that will be very noticeable.

Thank you for all of the wonderful advice........... any other advice is greatly appreciated.... Thank you.