Advantages and Disadvantages of satellite campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsbkp08

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK.
There are some satellite campuses out there for example ACP vermont, MCPHS Manchester, etc.
what are the advantages and disadvantages of going to these campuses?
also,
students graduating from these campuses get same respect/reputation as students going to the actual albany, worcester campus?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Advantages: Living with my husband and kids with a house and a life. Classes are identical, tests are identical, clubs and meetings are identical. IPPE patients are more plentiful. Not being a part of the big university- your not so sucked in to football, fraternities, and other distractions. Degree is the same.

Disadvantages: Can't go to professors office and ask questions. All communication is by email. Big campus and teachers "forget" we are around.

No difference in perception at my school, actually we are the smarter bunch:)

I can only reply as an applicant who is primarily considering satellite campuses. As the above poster said, the educational content is the same. Since most of the classes are videotaped and posted online, some of the home campuses don't even require attendance for lectures with many of their students opting to instead view the lectures online just like the satellite students.

The major advantage that I have come across is that you have a smaller student body, allowing for you to get to know one another better.

The major disadvantaged are, as already mentioned, less interaction with professors as only a few tend to be posted to the satellite campus as their home campus and a bit more difficulty in getting involved in research, if that's your thing. With regards to the research, it isn't impossible but may require a bit more flexibility in subject matter and a bit more of a time commitment if the research requires you to travel to the home campus for any reason.

Just my 2 cents based on what I've found while looking into this same question.