Adversity and Setbacks Pushing Back My Date to Take MCAT's - Guidance

Started by 625858
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

6

625858

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I'm unable to complete my two prerequisite courses in the timeline I planned. It looks like once I complete these two courses come spring of 2017 and study for the MCAT I won't be able to apply to a lot of the schools until 2018.

Appreciate input as to whether it would be a good idea to try and self study for the MCAT while taking these last two prerequisite courses and taking the MCAT following completing the two prerequisites at the earliest date possible. Taking organic chemistry and biochemistry, would this be a smart idea or should I just wait to complete the last two courses (1 Semester of Each) and then start studying for the MCAT and taking the exam a few months later.

Will be applying to mostly DO programs and some MD as well.

Sent from my Blackberry
 
Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I'm unable to complete my two prerequisite courses in the timeline I planned. It looks like once I complete these two courses come spring of 2017 and study for the MCAT I won't be able to apply to a lot of the schools until 2018.

Appreciate input as to whether it would be a good idea to try and self study for the MCAT while taking these last two prerequisite courses and taking the MCAT following completing the two prerequisites at the earliest date possible. Taking organic chemistry and biochemistry, would this be a smart idea or should I just wait to complete the last two courses (1 Semester of Each) and then start studying for the MCAT and taking the exam a few months later.

Will be applying to mostly DO programs and some MD as well.

Sent from my Blackberry

Better to wait and apply with the best app possible vs. reapplying the next year. If taking one class a semester then you should be able to study during. A huge chunk it biochem so the class will be part of studying. Just have your application ready to go in May next year and MCAT scores in by June submit time. Best of Luck
 
Wanted to clarify your intentions, so I made a few edits with {...}. Let me know if I understood you right.
...self study for the MCAT {in Spring 2017} while taking these last two prerequisite courses and taking the MCAT {in Spring 2017 for applying June 2017} following {and then} completing the two prerequisites at the earliest date possible? Taking organic chemistry and biochemistry, would this be a smart idea or should I just wait to complete the last two courses (1 Semester of Each) and then start studying for the MCAT and taking the exam a few months later {in Fall 2017 for applying June 2018}?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the post. Will be doing one class a semester but working in part time also....I'm assuming it looks better to study well and do well on MCAT first time around and just make the best of my time before early app.'s building my extra curriculars...?

Appreciate you feedback. I'm trying not to hurry things because I already waited so long. Feel like I have senioritis for the the past couple years[emoji14]
Better to wait and apply with the best app possible vs. reapplying the next year. If taking one class a semester then you should be able to study during. A huge chunk it biochem so the class will be part of studying. Just have your application ready to go in May next year and MCAT scores in by June submit time. Best of Luck


Sent from my Blackberry