advice about LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skittles

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only science faculty who know me well enough to write good letters for me are my research advisor and the advisor to the student org I'm in charge of. I haven't taken any science classes that they taught. Will they be sufficient for most med schools or should I get another not-so-stellar letter from a faculty member who taught a class I did really well in but who doesn't know me personally at all?

:confused: :(

Members don't see this ad.

If my understanding is correct, the two recommendations that you mention would count as EC LORs which means you will need at least two LORs from science profs that you actually had class with and probably another LOR from a non science prof.

Don't worry about them being not so good just because you don't really know the profs. Most of my LORs came from professors that I didn't really know. I just gave them a copy of my personal statement and my EC list and summaries and they did the rest

A lot of my interviewers commented on how good the recommendations were.

Thx! that clears things up :)

skittles said:
The only science faculty who know me well enough to write good letters for me are my research advisor and the advisor to the student org I'm in charge of. I haven't taken any science classes that they taught. Will they be sufficient for most med schools or should I get another not-so-stellar letter from a faculty member who taught a class I did really well in but who doesn't know me personally at all?

:confused: :(

I'm in a similar situation...I'm actually a grad student finishing up my first year of an MS program, and I'll be applying this cycle. All my undergrad LOR are all taken care of, committee and all, but now I guess I need a letter from grad school. I don't know my professors at all, and my classes are all team-taught, so I have each prof. for no more than 5 lectures or so. I'm not really sure how to go about deciding which one to ask, I haven't exactly aced a particular field.