Advice after graduation

Started by PolyRab19
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PolyRab19

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'm posting here in the non-traditional section because I am a current 4th year pharmacy student, but I wish to apply for medical school after I graduate. Honestly, I want an opinion of whether my situation is salvageble for medical school or whether I need to look elsewhere. Here is some information:

1) cGPA 3.12 & sGPA 3.04 (both undergraduate), PharmD GPA 3.89. My priorities weren't in the right places in undergrad (was in a new relationship at the time), but I have since truly learned how to be a student and fixed up my studying habits. This led to a senior year GPA of 3.7 w/ upper-div science courses and near top performance in pharmacy school.
2) MCAT 498 in 8/2015 (1st attempt). I really know I can do better than this, and I was planning to re-take the exam and changing my studying to be more in alignment with how other successful students have studied.
3) Clinical experience: Currently going through 4th year rotations, which mainly involves working up patients, rounding with the team, and making drug recommendations.
4) Other extracurriculars: Mainly have centered around teaching and mentoring opportunities within pharmacy school.
5) Shadowing experience: Currently 32 hours of shadowing, consisting of MD & DO shadowing within pediatrics and family medicine.
6) Financial situation: Anticipated $200,000 in debt at 5-7% interest. Was planning on working as a pharmacist for a year before applying to reduce this as best as possible.

I've had my heart set on being a doctor almost ever since I got into pharmacy school. Shadowing docs only fueled that desire even more. I couldn't be turned away from the profession no matter what the residents had told me. But, at the end of the day, I need to ask whether becoming a doctor is realistic. Is there a chance I could make this work? Would doing a post-bacc or SMP help my situation? Thanks! (especially for reading through the wall of text if you got to here)
 
MCAT 498 in 8/2015 (1st attempt). I really know I can do better than this, and I was planning to re-take the exam and changing my studying to be more in alignment with how other successful students have studied
Before anything else, I would suggest you start with MCAT to see if you can get a competitive score.
 
Hi Pasha, thanks for replying. I did end up calling my school's financial aid office to see if I would be able to eligible for federal loans. They said I'm close to reaching the max amount I can borrow, but I would be re-eligible as I pay off my loans. Hence, I was hoping working for 1-2 years before applying and using personal loans as necessary during medical school could help.

I definitely agree about re-taking the MCAT as the first step. I'm really trying to figure out where a post-bacc or SMP would fit in later on, if anywhere, given where my loans are currently at.