Advice after Taking Online Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c_long1

Reaction score
So I just recently got access to the MSAR and noticed that many schools do not accept pre-reqs that were taken online or at accept them on a case-by-case basis. I have taken both Physics 1 and 2 online. I did this mainly because I am a music minor and participate in the marching/concert bands and it was the only way to fit Physics into my schedule for this past year. Moving forward, should I retake intro physics, take 8 credits of upper-level courses to make up for it, or just hope for the best. I will say that my school offers two iterations of Physics, one for bio majors and one for physical science majors. I originally choose the physical science route because I thought it would be more beneficial and had planned on taking at least one more upper level physics course. I could go back this time and take the bio version. Also, the course is not tagged as an online course on my transcript. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools, most I believe, also require physics lab. I do not see how you could have completed this requirement online. It seems you may have to retake the course.

Edit: also, many secondaries explicitly ask if you have taken online classes and ask you to list them. So, regardless of whether it is stated on your transcript, you would have to disclose that you took Phys online.

Reactions: 1 user
Now would med schools be more willing to accept them if I took, and showed competency, in upper level courses covering similar material? Or should I play it safe and retake intro classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Now would med schools be more willing to accept them if I took, and showed competency, in upper level courses covering similar material? Or should I play it safe and retake intro classes?

Unless you are good with math and calculus-based physics, I would steer clear of upper level physics courses such as "waves and oscillations, classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and electronics". These are challenging, but intellectually rewarding courses. If you take them, be prepared to spend at least 12 hours a week on homework per class.

By the way, did you use a lab kit for your physics lab?

Reactions: 1 user
By the way, did you use a lab kit for your physics lab?
Lab kit, no. My professor has made online labs for each topic we cover. We either use simulations available on the web or she has created her own with interactive pictures of experiments she has completed. Naturally, we do a lot of excel work and have to show we understand concepts.