Advice: Apartment Lease does not open until the middle of orientation. . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H_Scheck

We are the Shadow
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but our apartment opens Aug 1 and orientation starts July 30th. My roommate and I figured this apartment was worth it so we just went for it. Has anyone had to deal with this and how did you handle living situations for that week and where did you put your stuff (furniture). I'm thinking of possibly crashing at a family's house, but also Airbnb. Any advice is much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

This is incredibly variable depending on

1) Who do you know in the area
2) How much stuff you have
3) How much money you're willing to spend.

You have close family or friends in the area? Ask them if you can crash on the couch.
Otherwise, you ask your new coresidents if they care about you crashing (I had a number of cointerns who did this for the first few days within the program) or rent a hotel room/airbnb/whatever.

With regards to stuff, you can just pay to store it (might have to pay for a whole month though) or leave it in your friend/familys garage, or leave it in your car, or who knows depending on how much stuff you have.

I'm traveling fairly light. I have gotten rid of all of the non-essentials, but still that leaves me with clothes, appliances, a couch, a bed, two mountain bikes, and various other items. Maybe I will just need to suck it up and ask my cousin if I can store some of my stuff at his place for a few days. I probably can't afford a whole month of storage, but will definitely look into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a huge housing debacle while starting med school (not worth all the details) but I essentially ended up living in an Embassy Suites for the first month. It was annoying, but no reason to languish on things you cannot control.

I did not have any furniture to store but I would try getting it into someone's garage for the week.

Reactions: 1 user
STorage unit for your crap and crash on a resident couch

I absolutely would have let a fellow resident crash for a week

If you have any sort of family or friends in the area, store most of your stuff there and bring what you need for the first couple days to stay at an Airbnb or crash with a friend. You don't need much, especially for orientation. You're not gonna be studying or needing your whole collection of books/winter clothes/widgets or whatever. You can move the rest in the first weekend. If your orientation is anything like mine, there may be plenty of free time and you might be able to move it in the evenings or something.

If you don't have family or anyone close by, maybe try to your class facebook page. I'd imagine there's someone on there with a garage you can stick the stuff you don't need for a couple days. Worst case scenario get a storage unit like someone else said.

I had very temporary housing for the first two weeks of school before I settled into my living situation. It was fine. Pain in the butt, but fine.

One of us isn't doing their math right. If orientation starts July 30 and your place is available on August 1 that's just two or three nights you need elsewhere... unless your current living situation ends well before this. Anyhow, really depends on if you know people in the area and how far you're moving. Need more information.

This happened to me. I put my stuff in storage for a month which ended up being free. Then I posted on the class FB page to see if anyone would let me crash for the week on their couch. It ended up being super fun actually

Reactions: 1 users
I actually got into a wait list school two weeks before orientation. I used Airbnb. I had my stuff put into a storage pod and had it sent when I needed it.

Could always try couchsurfing.com if it's just for one night. Or ask around in your school's fb page.

One of us isn't doing their math right. If orientation starts July 30 and your place is available on August 1 that's just two or three nights you need elsewhere... unless your current living situation ends well before this. Anyhow, really depends on if you know people in the area and how far you're moving. Need more information.
We have optional diversity training on the 29th and have to get a check up at the school clinic on by the 27th so I was thinking get there a few days prior.

If you have any sort of family or friends in the area, store most of your stuff there and bring what you need for the first couple days to stay at an Airbnb or crash with a friend. You don't need much, especially for orientation. You're not gonna be studying or needing your whole collection of books/winter clothes/widgets or whatever. You can move the rest in the first weekend. If your orientation is anything like mine, there may be plenty of free time and you might be able to move it in the evenings or something.

If you don't have family or anyone close by, maybe try to your class facebook page. I'd imagine there's someone on there with a garage you can stick the stuff you don't need for a couple days. Worst case scenario get a storage unit like someone else said.

I had very temporary housing for the first two weeks of school before I settled into my living situation. It was fine. Pain in the butt, but fine.
Thanks for the advice! I think it will be a pain, but will only be one week among many others. The apartments are worth it. Glad to hear you made it through

I actually got into a wait list school two weeks before orientation. I used Airbnb. I had my stuff put into a storage pod and had it sent when I needed it.
Awesome I’ll look into that :)

Have you talked to the leasing company/landlord about moving in a few days early? I know people who have done that. That would be my first step.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you talked to the leasing company/landlord about moving in a few days early? I know people who have done that. That would be my first step.
Agreed. Surely they’re not having someone move out Wednesday and then you move in Thursday. They have some wiggle room... can’t they wiggle for you?

Airbnb or hotel for the whole week of orientation, move in on the weekend after

They seemed pretty strict and only offer 2 days per month to move in. I think it is so that they can patch the holes from pictures and clean the place up. . . maybe they will make an exception. fingers crossed.

Agreed. Surely they’re not having someone move out Wednesday and then you move in Thursday. They have some wiggle room... can’t they wiggle for you?

I don't get my apartment until a week after orientation starts, but I've been lucky in that one of the other accepted med students lives in the area and has offered me her spare room, which is saving me a ton of money. Also, my family and SO are taking care of moving my stuff so I don't have to pay for storage etc.

I don't get my apartment until a week after orientation starts, but I've been lucky in that one of the other accepted med students lives in the area and has offered me her spare room, which is saving me a ton of money. Also, my family and SO are taking care of moving my stuff so I don't have to pay for storage etc.
That is great! I think I might just rent a storage unit for a month and store my couch and furniture there as it is only like 30-60$ which in the grand scheme of things is quite miniscule.

$30-60 really isn't bad and you're right, very tiny in the grand scheme of things. I would certainly go that route in order to make it easier on you.

$30-60 really isn't bad and you're right, very tiny in the grand scheme of things. I would certainly go that route in order to make it easier on you.
You guys/girls have been so helpful :)