Advice Appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope226

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
An underclassman friend of mine recently got his first physics 2 exam back and failed terribly. I helped him w/ the material b/c i did well in the class and felt that he had a strong understanding before the exam... I had thought he had anxiety before, but now I am certain (finally got him to go to the school counselor... prof is kind of a dick and is not understanding at all)

So, with a 90% avg on all remaining assignments he has a chance for a B-.

My question:

Would it be better to show a drop on his transcript assuming he has a strong makeup

or

Should he just stick it out and likely end up with a c+...maybe a b-??

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

An underclassman friend of mine recently got his first physics 2 exam back and failed terribly. I helped him w/ the material b/c i did well in the class and felt that he had a strong understanding before the exam... I had thought he had anxiety before, but now I am certain (finally got him to go to the school counselor... prof is kind of a dick and is not understanding at all)

My question:

Would it be better to show a drop on his transcript assuming he has a strong makeup

or

thanks

I almost dropped physics 2 myself because the prof was a dick, impossible to understand and i didn't do well on one test (didn't fail it though). 18 of 25 people dropped the classor transferred. I stuck it out and I ended up with a B+ so don't be so sure he can't pull it up if there are enough exams left. Plus doesn't labs count? My prof did not curve; does his? He should speak to the prof (although if he really can't be understood, that's a long shot) or at least the TA and see what he can do to improve his study habits in preparation for the exams. However if he isn't guaranteed to get at least a C+ and unless all his other grades in sciences are As or almost As I'd recommend the W and retaking it with a different professor. What did he ge tin physics 1? Good luck.

I wouldn't recommend withdrawing. If his grade in physics 1 was good and his grades in other pre-med classes are good as well taking a B- or C+ won't be a big hit. A W on your transcript is something he will have to explain in every secondary and every interview and it is a huge hassle worth a B- or even a C+ to avoid. One C+ is manageable but one W I think is worse.

Members don't see this ad :)

My question:

or

thanks

You're showing a lot of concern for your "friend" :laugh:

I wouldn't recommend withdrawing. If his grade in physics 1 was good and his grades in other pre-med classes are good as well taking a B- or C+ won't be a big hit. A W on your transcript is something he will have to explain in every secondary and every interview and it is a huge hassle worth a B- or even a C+ to avoid. One C+ is manageable but one W I think is worse.

yea...that was along the lines of what I was thinking, but wanted to get some more thoughts on the subject

thanks

A "W" on a transcript is the functional equivalent of a D or a low C, except it wont factor into the GPA. If your friend can pull a B- or C+, I would advise him to just stick it out and go with that instead of withdrawing. It's okay to have just a couple C's here and there - no one seriously expects you to have straight A's.

Now, if for whatever reason your friend winds up actually pulling a D or borderline-failing this class, then the W would be the best course of action.

Does "your friend" have a 4.0 GPA and the opportunity to retake the class with a better teacher?

If he has a 4.0 then just take the grade.

If he doesn't have a 4.0, then take the W