Advice/Chances on Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmSchool??????

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I'm will be going into my senior year this fall. For a little background on myself, I am a biology major and a chemistry minor with a fairly high gpa (3.8+) and no PCAT. I recently started thinking about doing pharmacy. Community service is close to 300 right now with a lot of church volunteering/activities as well as coaching youth basketball, but no research. This past spring semester in cell biology I had a very difficult and picky professor and I got accused of plagiarism/academic misconduct on a small in-class assignment, which resulted in the lowering of my grade by 1 letter and a C grade. I do admit it was a mistake and a lapse in judgement on the assignment, but the penalty seemed a bit harsh. I am absolutely devastated that it happened and at this point in my education, right before I plan on applying next cycle. I talked to the registrar and the misconduct will not be on my official transcript at all, but will go into a confidential FERPA university recording database. When I go to apply, how will I overcome something like this? When I am filling out my application I plan on explaining this situation and that it was a mistake and how I learned from it and have grown and it will never happen again. I am very worried since I haven't had any problems during my undergraduate education and hope something like this isn't a huge red flag or will prevent me from getting into pharmacy school. I plan on taking a gap year when I graduate in May to get a break from school and work and volunteer a little bit, but I don't know if I should consider a Master's or joining the military reserve to strengthen my application at all. I would really appreciate any advice or hear from any student that may have been in a similar situation. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do I have a shot at getting into pharmacy school? The state school I'm attending now has one.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ you're over qualified for pharmacy school with a 3.8+ gpa, don't believe me? check your state school website and find the current class gpa profile.

Don't waste your stats going to pharmacy school. Go MD.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

^ you're over qualified for pharmacy school with a 3.8+ gpa, don't believe me? check your state school website and find the current class gpa profile.

Don't waste your stats going to pharmacy school. Go MD.

I really want to be a dentist, but I don't know if I will be competitive for dental school especially with a lowered grade of academic misconduct. If I apply to dental school and don't get in, do I still have a chance at Pharmacy schools even after I apply to dental schools if I didn't get accepted? I really appreciate your guys advice and help. Thanks

I really want to be a dentist, but I don't know if I will be competitive for dental school especially with a lowered grade of academic misconduct. If I apply to dental school and don't get in, do I still have a chance at Pharmacy schools even after I apply to dental schools if I didn't get accepted? I really appreciate your guys advice and help. Thanks

Most schools have a ZERO tolerance policy for academic misconduct. That means an automatic failing grade AND a report to the dean AND you being put on probation or even expelled (if the dean is strict)

It sounds like your professor let you off easy considering it wasn't a big exam. You got a C, who cares? You have a 3.8 and you sound like a top tier student based on the info you provided.You should be more concerned about not having a PCAT score or experience.

I wouldn't take a year off for anything other than pharmacy stuff. Apply, you've got a great chance.

Oh and it doesn't matter if you get accepted into dental school or not.

Most schools have a ZERO tolerance policy for academic misconduct. That means an automatic failing grade AND a report to the dean AND you being put on probation or even expelled (if the dean is strict)

It sounds like your professor let you off easy considering it wasn't a big exam. You got a C, who cares? You have a 3.8 and you sound like a top tier student based on the info you provided.You should be more concerned about not having a PCAT score or experience.

I wouldn't take a year off for anything other than pharmacy stuff. Apply, you've got a great chance.

Oh and it doesn't matter if you get accepted into dental school or not.

So if I apply to dental school in June and don't get in, do I still have a good shot at pharmacy school as a backup the following year?

You are all overthinking it and working too hard. Pharmacy school is really easy to get into. All you need to do is secure $200k+ in student loans from the government.

You are all overthinking it and working too hard. Pharmacy school is really easy to get into. All you need to do is secure $200k+ in student loans from the government.

So applying to dental school and not getting in would not have an effect on admission at all? What experience and EC's do you need to get accepted to pharmacy school? It is something I'm very interested in.

So applying to dental school and not getting in would not have an effect on admission at all? What experience and EC's do you need to get accepted to pharmacy school? It is something I'm very interested in.

No, you don't need EC or work experience to get into pharmacy school. Just GPA and any score on the PCAT. I used to think pre-pharm req grades mattered until I learned there were people in school with bunch of Cs in their pre-pharm reqs and <30 on the PCAT. Both pharmacy school AND the job are easy, repetitive, and most of all boring as hell. If you want an easy way to make six figs go pharmacy, otherwise just apply to dental school.

You are overthinking this. Just apply to dental school. If you don't get in, it will have no effect on your chances for pharmacy.

It's advisable to work or volunteer in a pharmacy before choosing this career path. Otherwise, any volunteering/ECs will help you out; doesn't need to be something in particular.

It seems you are unsure you want to do pharmacy... as you are willing to go into dentistry or even becoming a MD/DO ... making up your mind is the first step