pharmacy school early apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FFargo

Reaction score
hello all!
I am applying for pharmacy school and I just learned that the priority deadline was October 1st, so I already missed it :/
I looked farther on the CAS website and it says the second priority date is November 1st.
My question is, if I apply by November 1st, should I expect to get a call by December? or do u hear back in after June 2022 like everyone else? can someone please shed a light on how the early apps work
THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry, you'll get in

Reactions: 4 users
hello all!
I am applying for pharmacy school and I just learned that the priority deadline was October 1st, so I already missed it :/
I looked farther on the CAS website and it says the second priority date is November 1st.
My question is, if I apply by November 1st, should I expect to get a call by December? or do u hear back in after June 2022 like everyone else? can someone please shed a light on how the early apps work
THANK YOU

Many who do early admission and make priority deadlines can typically get bundled in with "normal" applicants and contacted on or around the 4 - 6 week mark (depending on if the school is doing rolling admissions or not). As an example, I remember being bundled in the first interview day along with priority-early-acceptance-participants when I submitted my information via PharmCAS. I was contacted a few weeks later to set up a date to meet and was accepted 5-6 days after the interview (rolling admissions).

Another program reached out to me by early December (submitted application in October) for an interview date in March and would not release acceptances to anyone until mid-April (a higher ranked school that also included a written exam consisting of the basic sciences and math). I received that letter the end of April (as predicted). Lastly, I had to fill out a secondary (after PharmCAS submission) for another program 1 month after my online submission. I interviewed in October and received a phone call in November.

Most programs do a rolling admissions (first come first serve) and thus will reach out fairly quickly (within the following month) and set up an interview with results of admission usually being a fast turn-around (again, before the end of the following month...for some by the end of the following week). If you are waitlisted then you could possibly be contacted as late as one month before classes start if enough people decline their acceptances or defer to the following year. For this reason, many will just apply without the hassle of worrying about "early decision" deadlines and just apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get in regardless...but if you feel that it's too easy to get in, do think about the reason.

The reality is that there are few or no jobs openings. New grads with $200k+ in student loans are unable to find jobs. Those who do usually end up in retail where job conditions are downright inhumane. Those who are smart avoid the profession like the plague.

There are other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that pay as well as pharmacy if not better, offer far better job propsects and work conditions, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

You'll get in regardless...but if you feel that it's too easy to get in, do think about the reason.

The reality is that there are few or no jobs openings. New grads with $200k+ in student loans are unable to find jobs. Those who do usually end up in retail where job conditions are downright inhumane. Those who are smart avoid the profession like the plague.

There are other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that pay as well as pharmacy if not better, offer far better job propsects and work conditions, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.
i believe this but can i ask if you know why are the loan companies still letting students borrow for a PharmD??

Shouldn't it be considered extremely high risk to allow people to borrow so much money when you know they won;t get good paying steady work?

i believe this but can i ask if you know why are the loan companies still letting students borrow for a PharmD??

Shouldn't it be considered extremely high risk to allow people to borrow so much money when you know they won;t get good paying steady work?

Same reason why loan companies let students borrow hundreds of thousands for a philsophy degree, or an art major, or a psych degree.

Same reason why loan companies let students borrow hundreds of thousands for a philsophy degree, or an art major, or a psych degree.
really they let this happen? I don't have any friends in those fields but im honestly shocked to hear that. Why do they think these people are capable of paying them back?

I'm trying to go for PA but Pharmacy or Podiatry is my desperation back up. If I did PharmD I'm not paying them back the loan money. Or if I had done Philosophy degree I also would not pay the loan money back.

I'd literally just stay home with my parents and wait out the 6 years because i think statute of limitations runs out on private loan after 6 years if you don't pay the cant even garnish wages after the 6 years

really they let this happen? I don't have any friends in those fields but im honestly shocked to hear that. Why do they think these people are capable of paying them back?

A lot of them don't think about a future which they actually have to pay back their debt.

It's why we're stuck in a $1.6 trillion student loan crisis.

First, federal student loans are a flat maximum for all professional/graduate programs. So there is 20k per year already. Most private loans are banking on you being able to pay them (or your parents who cosigned) eventually. Thing is, they pay very smart people to figure out how to make the most money on loans so they know what their acceptable level of risk is. The truth is that most pharmacy graduates will be employed 6 moths after graduation.
I'm trying to go for PA but Pharmacy or Podiatry is my desperation back up. If I did PharmD I'm not paying them back the loan money. Or if I had done Philosophy degree I also would not pay the loan money back.

I'd literally just stay home with my parents and wait out the 6 years because i think statute of limitations runs out on private loan after 6 years if you don't pay the cant even garnish wages after the 6 years
You know that isn't how it actually works, right? The collection agency can take you to court before the statue of limitations runs out and you can't just not go to court.