advice/encouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to this site. I am 32 years old and feel like I'm starting over again. I am working on BSBC and hoping to start med school in 2016! My current cGPA is 3.39, with many hours from earlier in life when I didn't work very hard for anything. I am well on my way to bringing it up where I want to be, so far 4.0 in everything I am taking, and I'm hoping to continue that trend. I am working full time and school full time, so I'm pretty proud of that.

My question is, how important is volunteer work and Dr. shadowing when applying for entrance to med school? I plan on volunteering over the next few summers and trying to do some shadowing too, but since I work full time as an RN (for 12 years) I'm not sure if I should just focus on school or try to do it all. Also, what is the proper procedure when trying to get job shadows? I want to be a Forensic Pathologist, so is it appropriate to call the county office and ask if I can shadow?

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteer work is still important, though as an RN, doctor shadowing in not nearly so. It would certainly motivation and commitment to an adcom if you shadow at the county morgue. I could easily see that as a segue in your application narrative.

But doing well in the school work will be most important with that upward trend in post-bacc

This is exactly what I was told by my premed advisor and med school advisor. Since I have a ton of doctor contact/shadowing, the concentration will be more so on the volunteering I do OUTSIDE of medicine/allied health.

ironically I just set up a shadowing with the county morgue for next month! So excited!

ironically I just set up a shadowing with the county morgue for next month! So excited![/QUOTE]

Thanks for y'alls input! Did you just call the county and ask to shadow, or how did you go about setting that up?