Advice for 1st Year Dental Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLACKTEXASDOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just got accepted into dental school and will be starting this fall and have some questions for D2-D4 students and graduates. Ive worked for 7 years after completing my bachelors to get to this point and want to be prepared as a first year dental student. Im older (30) and have a little rust to knock off. Here are my questions:

1. How do you go about studying/ prepare for dental school exams and quizzes? Do you just rewrite powerpoints or is that too time consuming?
2. Do you make flashcards after reviewing materials?
3. How many hours do you study a day?
4. What has been the hardest part of transitioning into dental school from undergrad?
5. Is it hard to juggle multiple classes at once?
6. Are the classes harder or just faster than undergrad?
7. How do you manage fatigue/ burnout?

Please do not put link to go to similar previously posted thread. Thanks!
Member of Class of 2023

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
See responses bolded in quoted message.

1. How do you go about studying/ prepare for dental school exams and quizzes? Do you just rewrite powerpoints or is that too time consuming?
I handwrite all of the powerpoints, summarizing all of the information. It is very time consuming but nothing enters my thick skull any other way. After that, I will go through and read those notes 3-4 more times in conjunction with flipping through the slides for the photos before each exam. I haven't gotten straight A's but pretty close.

I've never used flashcards. Your study method will really be individual to you. I would suggest continuing whichever method you used in undergrad.

I don't study every day. Sometimes I just need some time off after classes. That said, I probably study 10-30 hours per week outside of class. It really depends on the material, how much I remember from previous classes, and how difficult it is for me to gain comprehension. Ex. - I probably spent 50 hours studying for a neuro exam and barely passed, but I can study 3-5 hours for some anatomy exams and get a high A. Very dependent upon the material that you are going through at that time.

4. What has been the hardest part of transitioning into dental school from undergrad?
I'm not sure I have much to help on this question - I use pretty much the same methods to study ect. I wouldn't say its any harder or easier. Definitely less pressure knowing that I don't "have" to get a 4.0 GPA.

My school uses a block system, so all of the D1 science classes are integrated and then there are separate dental specific classes. Looking at all of the upcoming things is daunting, but I seriously just study for one class/one exam at a time. It's been fine - not easy, but I'm almost done and I'm very content with my performance thus far.

Faster I guess. There is more depth in the topics typically, so that can make things harder but it's pretty manageable. Professors try really hard to help us understand. I assume that will vary by school/program though.

See answer 3. There are typically 2-3 days in every week that I just go to class and go home and do no studying after classes. Probably not the best system, but it has worked for me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I just got accepted into dental school and will be starting this fall and have some questions for D2-D4 students and graduates. Ive worked for 7 years after completing my bachelors to get to this point and want to be prepared as a first year dental student. Im older (30) and have a little rust to knock off. Here are my questions:

1. How do you go about studying/ prepare for dental school exams and quizzes? Do you just rewrite powerpoints or is that too time consuming? You will NOT have enough time to rewrite PPTs! Trust me, people try, and they end up drowning. I used to make Anki flashcards first year, but even that took too much time. Now, I go through the PPTs, and anything I'm not sure about or need to remember, I write on a piece of paper. In the end, I condense the presentation to a piece of paper or two of hand written facts I need to review. It's all about efficiency - you will have so much material and so little time. Don't review things you already know!

2. Do you make flashcards after reviewing materials? I was big into Anki first year, but it's too much. Unfortunately, success in school is more about short-term memory than long-term. Now, I'll get together with buddies and we'll shoot questions at each other rapid fire style. I've found this more helpful than flashcards, because you know the answers to the flashcards you make. But your friends will come up with questions you don't know. The old fashion "Let's quiz each other" is a great strategy.

3. How many hours do you study a day? I wake up at 5, sleep at 9. When I'm not in class or eating or exercising, I'm studying. I don't have a number for you, I just study whenever possible. That's the perspective of someone gunning for A's though - if your goal is different, I've seen people get away with an hour everyday and do just fine.

4. What has been the hardest part of transitioning into dental school from undergrad? You are expected to remember things beyond the end of the semester. In undergrad, you dumped everything from your brain after the course - but in dental, everything builds on each other. Another difficult part is simulation lab stuff - totally different beast than book smarts.

5. Is it hard to juggle multiple classes at once? Yes, but you just gotta do it. Delicate balance between cramming to ace the next exam, but not falling behind in everything else. I write out the exam schedule and post it on my wall where I have to look at it every day, so I know exactly what's coming up. I'd HIGHLY recommend that. Know the exam schedule inside and out, so you don't drown in a subject when an exam catches you off guard.

6. Are the classes harder or just faster than undergrad? Definitely faster! I wouldn't say harder, but trickier. Professors write some weird questions sometimes that aren't always fair. But school isn't fair. Just study your tail off and do the best you can.

7. How do you manage fatigue/ burnout? Pick one thing you truly love, and keep doing it. You might not have time for two things, but you need one thing.

Member of Class of 2023

Also see bolded text

Reactions: 15 users
I hope other Dental students and dentists answer these questions as the replies are pretty helpful. Thank you, Op for asking this question.

Reactions: 3 users

I do not rewrite ppt I just review the ppts for the class as many times as possible before the exam and make notes of points I may think will show up on the exam. I also like to write some questions for myself when I study as well and found this to work for me personally. I also like to go and find any MCQs practice questions I can find either online or go through what the prof has posted and test myself.
No flashcards
Like the other poster mentioned I literally study all day but like the other poster said I'm gunning for straight As and I find that I will have to review the material multiple times for it to stick.
The amount of the material that you have to memorize and know in a short time period
Not too hard just make a schedule and stick to it.
Both
Watch Netflix lol
Member of Class of 2023

Congrats on starting dental school soon and I'm sure you will do great just work hard!

Reactions: 10 users

I just go over the powerpoints. Usually 2-3x.

No. I tried making flashcards but it takes too long. If you're efficient you might be able to make good use of them. I have some classmates still using flashcards and they're doing well so it really depends on how you study. Experiment with different methods until you find your own groove. That's what first year is all about.

I have kids and a part-time job so I have very little time to study. I'm lucky to get 1-2 hours a day. I had to cram for a lot of the exams and I know some who are doing the same. If you get good at cramming, you will still pass. You won't get A's though.

Time management and figuring out what works for me. As I've said above, experiment.

It gets stressful at times but it's doable.

Faster.

Sometimes you just have to take a break. Be comfortable not studying and don't stress out about it all the time. When you do study, go ham.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for all of the replies. I love dentistry and have never pushed myself hard until I decided to make the multi-year hike towards becoming a dentist. My biggest concern is the amount of hours that I will have to take every semester. Im ok with taking like 9-15 hours a semester while working 50 hours a week but never had to take like 18+ hours a semester. After working for 4 years full-time, Im just happy to not have to work and let my school become my work.

How many classes do you take at one time?
How long are the classes? 4 weeks? 10 weeks?
How important is it to have a study partner/ group?
How many hours do y'all put in over the weekend for lab work?
How spread out are the exams? What is the frequency?

Thanks again! As you can tell I'm excited about this. After just entering my 30s I have come to really appreciate this opportunity and want to maximize it.

Reactions: 1 users
2 birds w/ 1 stone

FIRST SET:
--- Find what fits you best, but honestly, you will probably not have the time nor the energy to rewrite long 80+ slide powerpoints every day. A lot of upperclassmen have told us it's all about repetition, how many times you see the material. Eventually it'll get ingrained in you lol. Personally, I like study guides (and I like the study guides my notetaker makes :p)
--- Personally not a flashcard person, but lots of my classmates use Quizlet/Anki/handmade flashcards.
--- Prob like 3-4, on the days I study. I don't really study that much every day, I usually study much more on the weekends/night before a test.
--- Undergrad was honestly really easy for me, but here in dental school, you have to realize everyone is smart and everyone is a hard worker - they worked just as hard as you did to get where you are. Realizing this wasn't "hard" for me per say, but it was weird getting used to at first.
--- Sometimes. For the most part though, most of our classes have only been one day a week (some, like Systems, are all five days a week), but because most of them are only once a week, it's easy to catch up on weekends.
--- Both- more detail, less time to learn before you're tested on it.
--- Family, friends, netflix, sleep (in no particular order). Having a support system is really huge.

SECOND SET:
1. How many classes do you take at one time?
--- Hmmmm depends on your school but UCLA's first year has us taking like 7-8 classes a quarter (this is counting lect+lab as only 1 class tho). If you count lab separately, it's like 8-12 classes a quarter.
------> side note: the number of "units" it comes out to is like Fall: 23, Winter: 27, Spring: 33. I know it's not semesters, but for comparison's sake, a full-time course load on a quarter system would be 12 units.
2. How long are the classes? 4 weeks? 10 weeks?
--- Quarter system so 10 weeks BUT there are some weird classes that are only like 4, 5, or 6 weeks long....
3. How important is it to have a study partner/ group?
--- Personal preference. I think it's more helpful to have lab partners/group than study partners/group tho
4. How many hours do y'all put in over the weekend for lab work?
--- I tend to stay after on lab days so I don't have to go in on the weekends, but it could be like an additional 5-6 hours. Time flies tho
5. How spread out are the exams? What is the frequency?
--- Usually most classes are a midterm and a final, so halfway and at the end.

Hope that helps! But since you're accepted C/O 2023, I'd definitely ask these questions to your upperclassmen :)

Reactions: 7 users
This is going to vary greatly depending on the school you are attending. Each school has different schedules and different curriculum. My school does not do specific science courses, I just have 1 integrated science course for the basic sciences (histology, pathology, anatomy, physiology...ect).

How many classes do you take at one time?
Lab, Basic Science, Dental, then 2-3 accessory classes that vary by quarter. So 5-6 classes per quarter.
I usually have classes or lab from 8:00AM-4:00PM. Sometimes I will get an hour or two break in addition to the lunch hour.

How long are the classes? 4 weeks? 10 weeks?
Quarters are 10 weeks followed by a week of finals. Classes are dispersed throughout the quarter.

How important is it to have a study partner/ group?
I have never studied with a partner/group in classwork. Occasionally, before an exam, I will rapid fire with a friend for 10-20 minutes. My grades are the same when I do and don't do that. For lab work, it is helpful to have friends critique your work and discuss methods, materials, ect looking for ways to improve.

How many hours do y'all put in over the weekend for lab work?
I usually am able to finish lab work in lab. I may spend 1-2 evenings before lab exams just to refine my skills. My weekends are usually spent studying for exams.

How spread out are the exams? What is the frequency?
Usually, I don't have more than one exam per day. A typical week has an exam and 2 quizzes, but some weeks can add a lab exam on top of that or some other kind of abnormal midterm for one of the accessory classes. So normally 3, but up to 5 per week.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks BlackTexasDoc for creating this thread. It answers many of my questions. I am a class of 2023 as well. I have a few more question in addition to all of those posted above and I appreciate it if someone answers them:
1. Is there any materials that I can go over this summer before my school starts that can help me in my first year? Like any science based videos?
2. When do you start studying for the board exam?
Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks BlackTexasDoc for creating this thread. It answers many of my questions. I am a class of 2023 as well. I have a few more question in addition to all of those posted above and I appreciate it if someone answers them:
1. Is there any materials that I can go over this summer before my school starts that can help me in my first year? Like any science based videos?
Thanks
1. Absolutely not.
2. Not until at least after D1 so you don't even need to be thinking about it yet.

I would suggest not studying anything before school. That time is far more valuable making memories or just relaxing.

The boards that I am taking and you will as well most likely are the new integrated boards. There really isn't a ton of information on it yet you can read more about them here. I believe that I won't be taking them until D3 year. Integrated National Board Dental Examination

Reactions: 1 user
1. How do you go about studying/ prepare for dental school exams and quizzes? Do you just rewrite powerpoints or is that too time consuming? Took notes on ipad, reviewed notes/powerpoints. Made study guides. I wouldn't recommend rewriting powerpoints, way too much material, just stick to the important stuff.

2. Do you make flashcards after reviewing materials? for some classes I did, but for the majority no

3. How many hours do you study a day? 1-2 hrs/week day + 4-5 hours/weekend and more leading up to tests days

4. What has been the hardest part of transitioning into dental school from undergrad? Having to study. I realized pretty quickly that I didn't know how to study because I didn't really have to in undergrad. But once you find a method that works for you, you'll be fine

5. Is it hard to juggle multiple classes at once? Our classes were one at a time so I didn't have to worry about this

6. Are the classes harder or just faster than undergrad? Yes to both

7. How do you manage fatigue/ burnout? Gym, having friends not in dental school that I could talk to about other things (it gets exhausting talking about teeth 24/7)

1. Is there any materials that I can go over this summer before my school starts that can help me in my first year? Like any science based videos? Don't do this. Enjoy your last bit of freedom while you can.

2. When do you start studying for the board exam? 1-2 months prior I started going through dental decks in my spare time but didn't really go full study mode until about a month before.

Also will be a part of 2023 class here!
Thanks for creating this thread OP.

I have one question regarding technology for dental school for all of you.

Would you consider a tablet (ipad w/ apple pencil or microsoft surface pro) or laptop to be of more importance.

Currently, I have a 5 year old macbook pro that is still in decent condition. Would definitely work, but it is getting older and a bit slower/heats up quick/etc. I'm debating between upgrading to a new laptop or purchasing a tablet (leaning towards ipad pro w/ pencil) and to supplement it with my current laptop when needed. Is using only a tablet/ipad daily at school a viable option? Any expereinces or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Would you consider a tablet (ipad w/ apple pencil or microsoft surface pro) or laptop to be of more importance.

Currently, I have a 5 year old macbook pro that is still in decent condition. Would definitely work, but it is getting older and a bit slower/heats up quick/etc. I'm debating between upgrading to a new laptop or purchasing a tablet (leaning towards ipad pro w/ pencil) and to supplement it with my current laptop when needed. Is using only a tablet/ipad daily at school a viable option? Any expereinces or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Either would be fine just check with the technology requirements for your particular school to make sure everything is compatible. In my class there is a good mix of people using both.

Thanks in advance
Wait until your school tells you what you need. My school purchased laptops on our behalf and we did not get a choice. Those who had already purchased computers/tablets were not very happy. Just be patient and wait.

I actually do rewrite powerpoints while listening to audio and that process helps cement the material to memory pretty well (and I have been pretty successful in maintaining good grades this year). I tried typing up study guides instead, but found I didn't retain the information as well. Our classmates sometimes shared materials/drawings/explanatory info that we created for upcoming exams on a class google drive to supplement the power points (the only testable material was on the ppts assigned to us; I did not purchase any books). The hardest part about using the rewrite method for studying was that often times I had 7 powerpoints (or more) for a test, but most of the ppts were over 70-80 slides of saturated material, and each powerpoint took about an hour for the lecturer to get through. So make sure you start reviewing early enough to cover it all.

I did not make flash cards, but I saw many of my classmates make them.

I don't study every day because to be honest, after being in class all day, your brain can become pretty fried. I find that I do most of my studying on the weekends when I can truly be fresh and set up in my study all day without distraction. When preparing for an exam this year, I would start studying usually about 4 days ahead of an exam (at least), and I'd study between twenty to thirty hours total depending on how complex the material was. The time it takes to master content for one test is why I studied on mostly weekends and used weekdays\evenings to finish projects or practice operative.

Balancing the didactic portion of school with the pre-clinical side is, in my opinion, one of the harder parts of D1 year. Sometimes you will have to choose how many hours you are going to spend in the lab versus how many hours you have available to study for an upcoming pathology (or other; or multiple) test(s). Time management is critical. Also being aware that for most tests that you take, you will be required to put in a massive amount of time to master knowledge (assuming you are trying to get A's) as I described above.

Depends on which classes you are juggling/ what your program has you taking. Our spring semester was significantly more difficult than the fall semester because we were taking harder science courses as well as having to practice operative. Everything is manageable but you have to be organized and plan out what your preparations will be each week. I didn't try to plan a month out because at a certain point (later in the year for me) school got so hectic I could only plan one week at a time. So as soon as the major events for that week were over, I took 8-10 hours to recover with sleep and rest and then began prepping for the next week.

Personally I don't think the classes are harder. It's just that you will (sometimes) have one test that covers a massive amount of information. And then the next week you have another. etc. So even though the days feel like they drag on, the weeks fly by. Certain classes will be harder than what you have experienced, but if you have take a course before starting, it will dampen the sting of that class (i.e. physiology, histology, micro)

For this question I don't have a ton of great advice because I am experiencing some of that right now. I hope over the break I will be able to reenergize for the upcoming storm of D2 year that everyone has warned us about. Best advice I can give is to try not to compare what you are doing with what others are doing. Some people study over a week out for a test and get a B (or an A), and some people start a few days before and get an A; do what works for you, but never underestimate the first test you have in a course. Some people pay attention during class, some people make their notes during class for other tests that are upcoming. Do what works for you.

Take this information with a grain of salt because my program is probably different than what yours will be. But this is my experience so far in school, and it has worked for me pretty well.

**Edited for grammar**

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Download notability and upload all the powerpoints into there. I watch the lectures on 1.5x and takes notes into notability. Then I memorize the **** out of the powerpoints and try to get through all the powerpoints 2-3 times before the exam. Some people like taking notes, but TRUST ME that takes way too much time. The information is already condensed for you on the powerpoint, you just have to memorize it.

The good thing about notability is the search function. If I don't remember a disease, I can just search for it, and notability will show me every single slide with the word I search for. This makes notability way better than One note.

No - not enough time. By the time youre done making the flashcards, it's already exam time.

6-12.

There's pretty much no free time. You have to make free time. As soon as one exam is over, it's time to start studying for the next. It can be overwhelming at times.

We take 1 exam at a time, so I only study for one class at a time.

The information isn't that hard. I would say the exams can sure be some bull**** at times. The professors will ask you questions they haven't taught you etc. This is frustrating when your grade can come down to getting 1 multiple choice question wrong.

Honestly if I didn't want to specialize, I probably would've burned out haha.

Member of Class of 2023

Last edited: