redo 1st year or dismissed or.... another chance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pdentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello. I just finished my 1st year in dental school.
i failed 3 course in second semester and the committee told me i need to pass all the remediations.
Unfortunately, I failed one of the class (not main lecture)that i got 66( the passing score is 70). I emailed the committee that i talked before and explain my situation. (i couldn't get a tutor during the summer break and even i couldn't meet the instructor. because the instructor was sick. so i just studied same way that i studied before.) I didn't get any response from the committee. I am so worried about my situation
Do you have any idea for my situation??

Members don't see this ad.

You studied the same way that made you fail the first time? There comes a point when you need to take responsibility for your actions and not blame it on others.

Having said That, I hope they let you redo first year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am noticing an increasing number of threads with students saying they have been dismissed due to poor academic performance. Has dental school curriculum got harder? What is going on?

Reactions: 1 user
I am noticing an increasing number of threads with students saying they have been dismissed due to poor academic performance. Has dental school curriculum got harder? What is going on?
I don't think it's getting more difficult...just that the learning/studying style is different comparing to undergrad and some people adapt quickly while some people struggle.

These type of responses are getting tiresome, especially when the OP is in a dire situation and is looking for useful feedback.

First of all, you don't get to dictate what people can or cannot say in response to other posters. If my post truly bothered you, there is something called the block function. You should look it up--google it. If you want to be serious for a moment, which you choose not to be by quoting my post to whine, to what extent do you deem a post useful in response to someone failing to remediate a few courses in their professional program? Go whine to your partner or spouse, not to me.

First of all, you don't get to dictate what people can or cannot say in response to other posters. If my post truly bothered you, there is something called the block function. You should look it up--google it. If you want to be serious for a moment, which you choose not to be by quoting my post to whine, to what extent do you deem a post useful in response to someone failing to remediate a few courses in their professional program? Go whine to your partner or spouse, not to me.

:)

One of my professors who was a student in the 80s says it has gotten more difficult. Probably hasn't changed much in recent times though, just more people are showing up to post on SDN is my bet. In my class we had around 7 get asked to leave or remediate the entire year, and more were asked to remediate a class.

I still think if you put in the time to do well, you will.

Classes are bigger. More people at the edge of the curve. Where there were one or two in the 80's, there are seven or eight now.

Reactions: 1 user
SDN is meant to be a resource for those going into health professions. To that end, our responses should always err on the side of helpfulness, rather than ridicule.

SDN is meant to be a resource for those going into health professions. To that end, our responses should always err on the side of helpfulness, rather than ridicule.

Definitely agree. To be fair, I hope it is clear that my intention was to merely find some comedic value in a place where I thought was apropos, especially given the fact that the extent of "useful" advice in response to someone failing to remediate a few courses in their professional program is virtually nil. SDN has always been tremendously helpful to me and I hope to extend and maintain that tradition to future posters.

I appreciate what you have just said. Far be it from me to imply that humor is not allowed; quite the contrary. However, these days where it can be easier sometimes to post a meme than an actual response, one needs to be careful to use such replies judiciously.

Unfortunately, I failed one of the class (not main lecture)that i got 66( the passing score is 70). I emailed the committee that i talked before and explain my situation. (i couldn't get a tutor during the summer break and even i couldn't meet the instructor. because the instructor was sick. so i just studied same way that i studied before.) I didn't get any response from the committee.

I am sorry you are in that position, i was in it also. My suggestions are to be humble, the committee does not want to hear excuses. Secondly, i would meet face to face with a decision maker and ask to remediate the year. Third, do soul searching to determine what put you in this position? Poor study skills, not putting in the time, or something else?? If you don't change anything with your preparation for classes dont expect a different outcome.

Just my two cents.