Advice for 1st year medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmwestern

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year Osteopathic med student very interested in Pediatrics. I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to start strengthening my residency apps, like doing research, volunteering etc. for this upcoming summer.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would stress a balanced resume. Do something for research, it doesnt have to be anything big. Do some volunteering, something in advocacy would be best. Have some interests outside of medical school. Some teaching/tutoring/mentoring is always good, too. Think about what you would want to talk about on an interview, because you activities are often what is talked about.

I would stress a balanced resume. Do something for research, it doesnt have to be anything big. Do some volunteering, something in advocacy would be best. Have some interests outside of medical school. Some teaching/tutoring/mentoring is always good, too. Think about what you would want to talk about on an interview, because you activities are often what is talked about.

I would listen to Friedert. He is the man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get good grades in basic sciences. Study like you are going for surgery.
If you have time to volunteer or do research, do that too.
I have a 4 page CV with the last page being all publications. Nobody gives a $hit because my grades are mediocre and my board scores are below average.

Once you get through the electronic score and gpa filter, you can impress people with being normal at interviews.
In your 3rd year you can try and participate in research, or between your 1st and 2nd year of med school do something.
But study like you want ortho, and you will never have to worry about anything later.
Just my 2 cents.

Get good grades in basic sciences. Study like you are going for surgery.
If you have time to volunteer or do research, do that too.
I have a 4 page CV with the last page being all publications. Nobody gives a $hit because my grades are mediocre and my board scores are below average.

Once you get through the electronic score and gpa filter, you can impress people with being normal at interviews.
In your 3rd year you can try and participate in research, or between your 1st and 2nd year of med school do something.
But study like you want ortho, and you will never have to worry about anything later.
Just my 2 cents.

Hey NYC girl,
don't be too bitter about them not caring for research. It is true that for residency, they don't care much for publications but rather for scores. But if you are thinking of doing a fellowship, you will be a star applicant for any subspecialty you want to do if you have lots of publications, regardless of where you did your residency at. So long term, your research investment will be worth it.:cool:

Many people say that if you're not into research, then research isn't that important for you. Pediatrics isn't one of the career paths in which it is essential to have done some research (something that may no necessarily be the case for some of the more competitive fellowships). With that being said, having some research in your CV shows that you were committed/involved in something. The same can be said for committed volunteerism/activism/and any number of the activities that your classmates will be doing. Pick something that you like and stick to it.

Above all, try to enjoy the year--that may be the toughest part... lol