Advice for a high schooler?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soccer22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a senior in highschool looking at colleges. I have the goal of eventually doing medical mission work once I'm through med school/ residency/etc. I'm going into medicine 100% to serve others. Money has nothing to do with it. I'm curious as to how becoming a doctor works with the airforce academy. Assuming I got accepted, and that I would enjoy it there (I'm the type of person that would love the strict schedule and entice work of afa, I'm not interested in the whole social aspect of college) would attending this school help me reach my goal? I'm fine with serving my 4 years of active duty- I consider it experience in the field that will help me with my mission work. I've heard lots of conflicting things as to how med school works coming out of Air Force academy. Some say they let you go, others say only a select few are allowed to attend med school? My fear is that I wouldn't make the cut and be force into a career in the Air Force- something I wouldn't hate but certainly wouldn't prefer.
Also if I attend the academy, could I pay for my own med school so as to not add on another 4 years of commitment or will I have to take hsps of something of that nature that adds on to my commitment?

Basically, I'm fascinated by the military and I want to lead a life of adventure in which I lead and help others, I just don't know the right path to reach this goal. Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

If you go to the academy, do not plan on attending medical school until after you have finished your initial commitment.

I hate that there's so much misinformation regarding this. I had read elsewhere multiple times that it is a relatively simple process to defer your service until after med school. Everyone has a different opinion on this

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go to the academy, do not plan on attending medical school until after you have finished your initial commitment.

USMA has a policy of sending 2% of the graduating class to med school. I don't think USAFA is much different, especially given the zoomie in my class. You have to be competitive, but that usually adds up to a 30+ MCAT with a 3.0+ GPA. Not that hard.

Look at USUHS and talk to some USAFA grads there. This will give you the best info.

I hate that there's so much misinformation regarding this. I had read elsewhere multiple times that it is a relatively simple process to defer your service until after med school. Everyone has a different opinion on this

Misinformation.......Hmmmmmm.......

Here is some reality. The service academies can and do send graduates straight into medical school. The numbers vary, but the max is around 20 per year. Many will go to USUHS, but they can go to civilian schools. The problem is going to a service academy adds a level of uncertainty. The academies exist to creat line officers. They are supposed to be the future leaders of their respective departments. Sending grads off to medical school is just not a priority. I have seen highly qualified med school applicants denied the ability to go to medical school because of these quotas.

Many people join the military with the idea that whatever their plan is, it will be fulfilled by the DoD. Can it? Yes. Will it? 50/50 at best. So if you have a rigid plan for the future, joining early is not a practical option.

Say my goal is to eventually do military medicine. Would waiting and doing hsps put me at a disadvantage compared with taking a chance and going straight through the academy? Would college rotc make any difference? Thanks

Say my goal is to eventually do military medicine. Would waiting and doing hsps put me at a disadvantage compared with taking a chance and going straight through the academy? Would college rotc make any difference? Thanks

life in general is risk mitigation. sometimes for the positive, sometimes for the negative. keep in mind though, the house always wins :cool:

it all comes down to your risk tolerance. like a previous poster said the academies have a certain number per year max they send on to medschool. that's great if there is little interest your year, or if your year group has less than stellar applicants. more than likely, however, it will be highly competitive for those limited slots. my advice would be if this is your #1 goal to forego the academy route. unless your #1 goal is military, in which case the academies are a great idea and one that will continue to pay off as your ring knocker colleages grease the skids for you, lol.

rotc is another option. this is the source of my original obligation (i later took HPSP as well, but we will get there in a minute). rotc allows for educational delays and is not, to my knowlege, hindered by quotas. you get in, you're good. the issue with this is that it is a one time shot-- you don't get accepted, you go into the military and serve some time and reapply later and hope they defer you. this puts more of the pressure on you to independently perform and get accepted, but you aren't limited like in the academies (though, to be fair, if you *are* one of the approved folks to apply in the academy scenario chances are good you will find an acceptance somewhere-- hence why they make those slots so hard to get).

hpsp is after college, after acceptance to medschool. you are free do do whatever you please up until the time you accept the scholarship. zero risk of being a non-doctor in the military, but everything (ie, tuition) is on you until then. rates of acceptance vary, but chances are you probably will get one of the services to take you. they pay for medschool, then you owe them time-- keep in mind you will be signing a contract that doesn't expire for over a decade later, and people's lives and desires change-- the contract doesn't. see the forum for details, lol.

last, there's the college/medschool/residency on your own dime, then joining. least amount of military risk, you choose your own adventure, then see if you still want to join after you've completed your goal of being a physician. this is the "least risky" in terms of having to do military stuff you don't want to do if physician is your #1 goal.

as far as waiting being a disadvantage-- how do you mean? in the physician world, the source of your commissioning (academy, rotc, hpsp, fap) doesn't put you at a signficant disadvantage per se. perhaps in networking, perhaps in military specific knowlege, but overall the medical field tends to not care. advantages/disadvantages in the military medical system come, if anywhere, from contacts you make through training and how adept you are at "playing the game" so to speak. i would not let this impact how you plan on reaching your eventual goal of becoming a military physician.

my suggestion would be to find a balance of flexibility and what amount of risk you are ok with-- and what alternative paths you would be ok with. some people are adaptable and would find a way to turn a 3 or 4 year stint on the line while waiting to go to medschool into a positive-- others would revolt and dwell on how they were screwed for the rest of their lives. it really depends on you-- keeping in mind that you of today may have different values and goals than the you of tomorrow. that's the fun part :)

good luck!

--your friendly neighborhood magic eight ball using caveman

Good replies so far.

Bottom line - if you want to be a doctor, don't do ROTC or a service academy. Like NavyFP says, they exist to create line officers. That bias is just another hurdle you have to overcome to get into medical school, and getting into medical school is hard enough already.

If there are financial reasons why an academy or ROTC are your only options for going to college, maybe.

My recommendation:
- Go to a cheap public in-state school for your undergraduate degree. Pay with financial aid, part-time work, and loans. Do well. Have a good time.
- Go to a public in-state medical school. Pay with financial aid and loans. Consider HPSP (or USUHS). Do well. Try to have a good time.
- If you didn't take HPSP, join the military via FAP, if you still want to.

Remember, if you sign up for ROTC or a service academy at age 18, and go through with your plan to become a doctor, you will not be eligible to leave service until your mid-30s. And by then you'll have so much time in that you're heavily invested in doing a full 20 of active duty, for which ROTC/academy/HPSP/USUHS don't tick the clock ... so now you're looking at service through your mid-40s.

IMO, no 18 year old, however squared away with life plans and ambitions, should sign a contract with that kind of duration.

18-year-olds who want to be in the military should enlist for a few years to test the waters. 18-year-olds who want to serve as line officers should do ROTC and then serve for a few years to see if they like it. 18-year-olds who want to be doctors should go to college and medical school.

Kudos for being motivated to become a doctor and serve. I don't mean to be condescending but
Soccer22 said:
I'm going into medicine 100% to serve others.
is what every 18-year-old pre-med hopeful says. Most of us said it too. Somewhere along the line though, exposure to the world, a better understanding of the price you pay to become a doctor, the debt, the real (not imagined idealized) patients you see ... all combine to at least temper that wholehearted selfless idealism.

Be careful about signing really long contracts when you're 18. You will be a different person after your first year away from home.

I don't mean to be condescending but

i thought you were going to address this:

I want to lead a life of adventure

i think all high schoolers want this-- not a bad thing necessarily (who wants the alternative-- i want to lead a life of boredom! :laugh:), but if you really want "a life of adventure" i can tell you medicine is not the way to go. if you want to never be unemployed and be able to have a comfortable income to finance some smaller "adventure" habits, it's a pretty good choice though. it all depends on your goals-- some are congruent, some aren't. and if you have plans on a mr/mrs soccer22, they may not necessarily feel the same way in 10-15 years when you are living it up at FOB Dumpster in sub saharan africa or OIF 2.0.

--your friendly neighborhood "i really want to help people ;)" caveman

Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry if I ask a really naive question, I'm really new to this. What I meant by disadvantage is that I didn't know whether attending the academy, doing rotc, or doing hsps would give me more experience, a higher rank, or more flexibility in residency as opposed to simply enlisting after residency. So I guess unless money is a factor skip all of those?

@homunculus And I know it sounds really idealistic for an 18 year old to say he wants to help others and lead a life of adventure. Doesn't everyone haha? So yes I realize things may change and its foolish to think I'll have the same plans 10 years from now as I do now, but due to a combination of things, I know I'll be happiest doing something beneficial to others and that keeps me on my feet and thinking. Medical missions sound great and all but I have had concerns with how that will play in with my family life. I do plan on having a family. I had always thought that could spend half of the year away, half at home or something along those lines to balance the two but that will be very very difficult at best. That is why military medicine is appealing. I like the idea of military life and I feel like i would find more satisfaction helping soldiers as opposed to the private sector. As a military physician, what exactly will I be doing and how much of it is up to me? Will I be able to pick a general area to live or will I constantly be moving? How often will I spend over seas? because I love the idea of short stents at different military bases, but still having a permanent home- something that from what I've gathered hsps involves.

Last edited:
@pgg So if I can attend a state public school on a full ride I should do this? One reason I was looking at the academy is simply because I think I would enjoy it. I'm not looking for a social life in college- I love the idea of the military life the academy offers. I know I don't know what I'm talking about till I'm there, but I don't want to be bored at a state school regretting not taking the opportunity to attend AFA.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your experience with military medicine? I still don't know much about what it entails and what that lifestyle will be like.

Say I went to a state school for free, used HSPS for med school, and then served my 4 years after residency. I should technically be free around 34ish right? Does the military offer any residency program type of things? In a perfect world, I would be debt free and uncommitted at 34 with 4 years of military experience behind me to give me some experience for the mission field providing that still is my plan. Does that sound feasible because to me it sounds ideal- I have the adventure of military medicine in my early 30s and after my commitment I can either continue military medicine or do the mission field thing or even move on to private practice. All with no debt and no long term commitment.

Notice I didn't say it was impossible to go straight through. I have a few friends who went straight on is HPSP and usuhs. My point was that if you'll be devastated if you can't go straight through, then academy may not be the best bet. The best bet is to assume that the army will always change your plans for you. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

@pgg So if I can attend a state public school on a full ride I should do this?

I'd heavily lean toward it. A degree without strings, and no debt? That flexibility and lack of debt is immensely valuable.

You can get a great education at a state school. Put up a gpa over 3.5 and a good MCAT score, and you'll get into an excellent US medical school.

One reason I was looking at the academy is simply because I think I would enjoy it. I'm not looking for a social life in college- I love the idea of the military life the academy offers. I know I don't know what I'm talking about till I'm there, but I don't want to be bored at a state school regretting not taking the opportunity to attend AFA.

That's a good reason to go to a service academy. I think they allow you to leave after the first year, free and clear, if you decide it's not for you.

The problem with service academies for future doctors though are

1) The hard (and low) cap to the # of students allowed to go to medical school from each graduating class.

2) The academy's service commitment will add to the .mil-funded med school commitment, essentially guaranteeing you 9 years of obligated service AFTER residency. For a HS senior, that's a clock that won't start ticking for another 11-15 years (4 undergrad + 4 medschool + 3-7 residency/fellowship).

3) It's not easy to get the med school prereqs done. I had a med school classmate from the Naval Academy - he was an oceanography major because it was the only science major with the bio prereqs. I'm not familiar with the AF Academy curriculum, but I bet it's pretty light on the biological sciences. Yes, you can go to medical school with ANY undergrad degree ... but there's a reason most of us were bio-type majors.

4) It's possible but not easy to get the other usual pre-med boxes filled, whether its research, volunteer time, shadowing. This stuff is important not only for admission committees, but for YOU to be exposed to medicine so you can get a better idea if the reality of medicine is something you want to do for the rest of your life.

The academies are just simply not geared toward getting people into medical school. The fact that it CAN be done doesn't bootstrap it into a good idea, IMO.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your experience with military medicine? I still don't know much about what it entails and what that lifestyle will be like.

Short version (you can search my prior posts if you like):
- civilian undergrad
- USUHS for med school (Navy)
- intern year at a Navy hospital
- 3 year GMO tour with the Marines, deployed to Iraq x7 months and Afghanistan x7 months
- anesthesiology residency at a Navy hospital
- 4 years into a staff tour now, with another deployment to Afghanistan x7 months

Say I went to a state school for free, used HSPS for med school, and then served my 4 years after residency. I should technically be free around 34ish right?

Payback rules for military sponsored medical education are both complicated and difficult to predict in advance - mainly because you won't know until after medical school if any branch of service will require you to spend GMO time prior to residency, and you don't know now what specialty (residency length) you'll end up picking. Both of these 'maybes' interact in hard to predict ways.

Assuming you're 18 now or soon, one possibility:
- 18-22 undergrad
- 22-26 med school
- 26-27 intern
- 27-30 for a 3-year residency *
- 30-34 payback of HPSP years

* but may be 2-7 depending on specialty +/- fellowship

But it also MIGHT be
- 18-22 undergrad
- 22-26 med school
- 26-27 intern
- 27-30 GMO tour (reducing obligated service from 4 years to 1)
- 30-35 a longer 5-year residency (increasing obligated service from 1 year to 5)
- 35-40 payback for residency obligation
At this point you'll have 14 years of creditable service (med school doesn't count, even on HPSP) ... and you might rationally decide that you ought to stay that extra 6 to collect the retirement check. Now you're 46.

Neither of these are necessarily a bad life, but again, I hope you see that the uncertainty involved tends to push prudent people toward delaying long-term commitments.

Does the military offer any residency program type of things?

In a word, yes, and you should expect to complete residency at a military hospital. (Deferrals for civilian training exist, but they are not reliable, predictable, or even merit-based in many cases.)

In a perfect world, I would be debt free and uncommitted at 34 with 4 years of military experience behind me to give me some experience for the mission field providing that still is my plan. Does that sound feasible because to me it sounds ideal- I have the adventure of military medicine in my early 30s and after my commitment I can either continue military medicine or do the mission field thing or even move on to private practice. All with no debt and no long term commitment.

It might work out that way, it might not. More to the point, you're not the one who controls whether or not it works out that way.

What I meant by disadvantage is that I didn't know whether attending the academy, doing rotc, or doing hsps would give me more experience, a higher rank, or more flexibility in residency as opposed to simply enlisting after residency.

ROTC, academy, hpsp, USUHS - none will affect rank. Everyone is commissioned into the medical corps as an O3 the day they graduate medical school. 99% of people make O4 about six years later (absent prior commissioned service).

Also, doctors don't "enlist" they are commissioned as officers.

I know I'll be happiest doing something beneficial to others and that keeps me on my feet and thinking. Medical missions sound great and all but I have had concerns with how that will play in with my family life.

We all enjoy helping others and having a mentally stimulating job. You don't have to be in the military to get that out of medicine, though.

And please don't confuse military medical service with "medical missions" ... humanitarian work is a TINY fraction of what active duty military physicians do, even while deployed. Most of us NEVER do any.

We exist to support the line, which exists (mainly) to go abroad and kill people and break things to impose our nation's will and protect its interests, not make friends.

In contrast, a civilian private practice physician can hook up with any number of organizations to travel anywhere in the world to do any kind of humanitarian work ... and the only limit is their own desire and how long their practice can go without them. But I know lots of civilian physicians who every year take a few weeks to travel with Operation Smile or some other group.

I do plan on having a family. I had always thought that could spend half of the year away, half at home or something along those lines to balance the two but that will be very very difficult at best. That is why military medicine is appealing. I like the idea of military life and I feel like i would find more satisfaction helping soldiers as opposed to the private sector. As a military physician, what exactly will I be doing and how much of it is up to me? Will I be able to pick a general area to live or will I constantly be moving? How often will I spend over seas? because I love the idea of short stents at different military bases, but still having a permanent home- something that from what I've gathered hsps involves.

You can have a family and be in the military, many of us do. But you'll move every couple years. This is easy for you, because your job is moving you. It's not easy on the spouse, because that person's job doesn't also move. If the spouse is a professional, it can be a huge problem. I have two high-school aged kids - a freshman and a junior. We're moving next summer, and it will be a hardship for them to change schools. My 12-year-old daughter is a competitive gymnast, and will have to leave a great gym and get into a new one.

The military is not exactly family friendly, though it tries, sort of.

Deployments are generally 6-12 months, vary a bit by service. Getting stationed overseas is usually for 1-2 years at a time, with family. (Again though, if your spouse has a job, it won't relocate to Guam or Germany too.)

Some great advice in here both for those interested in the military and those who are 18 years of age. I hope the OP takes note. S/he sounds reasonable level headed though, more-so than I was at 18.

Just to play devil's advocate a bit here, if you just can't do without the "military life" in undergrad look into your State Guard. Completely volunteer, military structure, get your feet wet with customs and courtesies, etc. You could then do your undergrad with your full ride at your state school and have the flexibility after that. Not all pre-meds end up pursuing medical school. I would advise small bites in planning your future right now. Regardless of whether you change your mind or not, small bites give you the control and flexibility to do whatever it is you end up spending your life doing.

But this is coming from an old guy who came to medical school late in life. I have enjoyed all the crazy journeys in my life (including foreign mission work) before even coming to medical school. Let your life unfold without putting too many restrictions on how it does so. Just some life advice from an old coot.

Thanks for the advice!

One of my main reasons for considering the academy is because of my highschool life. In highschool I've ran cross country and played soccer and been the president of multiple clubs year round. I practice sports four hours a day and when I'm not I'm doing something active. I'm not sure how well I'd make the transition from this and being a leader in school to the life at a state school. Sure theres clubs and intermurals but the Air Force life sounds so much more attractive and interesting. This, of course, isnt a reason so sign a contract that determines my life for the next 8+ years at least.

I am curious, with military medicine is there no way to stay put, only doing short term stents away? Might as well ask haha.

Also, this is probably the wrong forum, but what exactly is life like for someone who went to the academy and doesn't do medicine? What type of job would I have, etc.?

@EsTxDr I haven't looked into that at all- I'll have to check into it. Thanks

I am curious, with military medicine is there no way to stay put, only doing short term stents away? Might as well ask haha.

Think National Guard (Air or Army) or Reserves.

You can be certain of a few moves and possible deployments. I've moved 3 times in the last 4.5 years and I still have 3.5 years left on my commitment. What do you consider "short term stents away?" I am tasked for a six-month deployment, if you consider that short.

Also, this is probably the wrong forum, but what exactly is life like for someone who went to the academy and doesn't do medicine? What type of job would I have, etc.?

See www.airforce.com/careers