Advice for a Neuroscience PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rmsteinberg

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be getting my PhD in Neuroscience and Pharmacology/Toxicology from the University of Texas in Austin next spring and I'm starting to think about applying to medical school. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, although I received very good marks in my GRE and subject GRE.
As an academic researcher, I don't know much about the medical school process. Will my Neuroscience PhD allow me any additional freedoms in medical school? i.e., will I have a greater freedom in choosing classes, or be able to skip a research requirement?
Does anyone have any MCAT advice specific to someone like myself who took all the required courses as an undergrad (but that was 6 years ago!)?
Can anyone recommend medical schools with a strong neurology branch and a solid overall program?
I'd appreciate any help you can offer.
 
Hey there. My answer to you comes from the perspective of having done an MD-PhD at the same institution (and with my PhD in Neurosciences, like you)--and my feeling here is that, no, you won't get any special treatment as far as being able to waive medical school course requirements. Not every medical school has a research requirement--but, if they do--asking them directly is your best bet. (I'm sure answers will vary on that point.)

For the MCAT, I'd just get a test preparation book and spend a couple of months taking practice tests. Reading Comprehension, Essay Writing, and then the Biological and Physical Sciences are the major categories--and I think you'll be fine after a few practice exams. Despite the fact I was a Biology major, much of the Biological Sciences material was actually not stuff covered in my coursework (which was more molecular than the MCAT). So I don't think you're at any particular advantage or disdadvantage, necessarily.

As far as good Neurology programs...I'm not sure I would judge medical schools based on that. Neurology tends to be the shortest of your required clinical rotations (typically only 4 weeks in 3rd year!)...and you're really not judged too much in residency applications/interivews by your home school's Neurology program. What I would concentrate most on is finding a medical school that has a few different medical centers--and different opportunities to work with diverse patient populations. This way, you tend to see more interesting cases.

If a medical school you're looking at runs a county hospital, for instance, I think that's a boon. You want to have access to indigent/Medicare/Medicaid-type populations--and not just see rich people, for instance, whose chief complaint is "mild headache."

Also, you're always free in 4th year to do away-rotations at other medical schools--to explore the Neurology departments at other places.


I would focus on finding a solid medical school with great patient opportunities.