Advice for a nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missy27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I recently posted this in the pre-dental forum, but no luck there. Hoping to get some advice - thanks!

Hi - I've been a long-time lurker and decided to finally dig in for some advice. I'm in my early 30s and have been debating dental school for quite some time. Married, no children yet, but hoping soon.

I would love to speak with any females who have been through dental school with young children about your experiences. I realize there aren't many (if any!) on here, but maybe someone reading this is in school now with a similar woman who might be willing to answer some questions. I'd also be interested in speaking with any women who completed dental school with small children.

I know it can be done, and I've read plenty of threads on what people think of it, but, for me, I really would be most helped by speaking with someone who has gone through this.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm male - but I decided to become a dentist at age 31, with a 1.5 year old.
I had to go back to school (in a post-bac program) for 1.5 yrs to get all of the prerequisites, and then of course take the DAT.

I did that with a toddler and it was definitely tough. He's now three and I start dental school in August. I will say:
1) It has forced me to be more focused / efficient than most of my peers.
2) Every free minute is spent studying.
3) Seeing my kid and me wanting him to pursue his dreams is what made me get my butt back into school to pursue mine. He and my wife serve as my main inspiration to get through this program.

I say go for it; but I think actually giving birth and caring for a 0-3mo. old will be just about next to impossible to pull off with a post-bac/1st yr/ 2nd yr program unless you can have live-in help - then it's definitely possible. Best of luck!

I'm in my post-bac and almost done with my first trimester and it has been brutal! Sick and tired all the time! Everyone's different but don't expect your pregnancy to be all smooth sailing.

I was planning on applying to dental school this June but decided to wait a year because I don't want to put my baby in daycare before he/she is closer to two. If dental school is anything like hygiene school it's going to be hard with an infant. Clinic from 7:30 to noon, didactics from 1:00 to 4:00, and then it's time to study....

If you can take the first year or two off - do.

People do it, but I doubt they have enough extra time in their schedule to log onto SDN regularly. But keep asking because I want to hear people's stories too.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'd appreciate hearing more of your stories as you go further through this. Fortunately, I don't have to do any pre-reqs. Mine are old, but I would just focus on schools that will accept those.

Good luck in your programs and please update on how they go.

Hi there. I'm in my 30s as well and am just about to finish up my freshman year. I have no children, yet. However, there has been a handful of 3rd and 4th year students that have been pregnant and had children. I think it really all depends on how you handle your pregnancy - dental school is not easy and you will be exhausted and stressed - I imagine a pregnancy could either help with that or make it worse. Also - I think it would probably really help if you had family near by and a husband that wanted to be very active in taking care of a newborn.

It can definitely be done. If you want to be a dentist and a mother there is certainly nothing stopping you. And from what I've heard there is no good time to have a child - you just work with what comes.

Truthfully - since you are already married and it sounds like you haven't applied yet. I would consider having a child before dental school. Then again I have no children yet, and I'm not sure it is easier being away from and dealing with a pregnancy/newborn or a 1-2 year old.