Advice for a Pre-Vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DesertxCoyote

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm really new here although I've been stalking the forums long before actually making this account. Anyways, I feel a bit at odds with myself. I'm 21 and currently attending Ok State for Pre-vet, going on my second year here. I'm about 2 years out from graduating with my BS in Animal Science and I'm starting to have some doubts where vet school is concerned. My gpa is pretty deplorable. Went from a 3.0 to a 2.8 in the time I've been here. Chemistry and math have been kicking me up and down the court. I don't want to quit since this has always been my passion but I also want to be realistic. At this rate, vet school is getting further away. My sister believes I should attend the Bel-Rea Institute next year and become a licensed technician. Would this be detrimental to my hopes of ever getting into vet school? I realize that I would have to take two years off from the university to achieve this. But others are optimistic that with my license I could get paid work experience and go to school part time to finish off my requirements before applying to vet school. Any advice?
 
Last edited:
I'm really new here although I've been stalking the forums long before actually making this account. Anyways, I feel a bit at odds with myself. I'm 21 and currently attending Ok State for Pre-vet, going on my second year here. I'm about 2 years out from graduating with my BS in Animal Science and I'm starting to have some doubts where vet school is concerned. My gpa is pretty deplorable. Went from a 3.0 to a 2.8 in the time I've been here. Chemistry and math have been kicking me up and down the court. I don't want to quit since this has always been my passion but I also want to be realistic. At this rate, vet school is getting further away. My sister believes I should attend the Bel-Rea Institute next year and become a licensed technician. Would this be detrimental to my hopes of ever getting into vet school? I realize that I would have to take two years off from the university to achieve this. But others are optimistic that with my license I could get paid work experience and go to school part time to finish off my requirements before applying to vet school. Any advice?

I went to tech school before getting my bachelors and finishing my pre-reqs. I think it is a good way to see if you really want to be in the field. I do not believe it will hurt your chances of getting into vet school I know a few vets that used to be technicians.

Veterinary technicians are not very well paid, although this depends on where you work and tend to be under appreciated. That said, I do like the work, although its a meager living. Depending on which veterinary school you want to go to you may be able to continue taking your pre-reqs while attending tech school, some of the classes are the same. Like micro, anatomy, chemistry, and physics should be offered there too. Another thing to consider is that not all schools require you to even have a bachelors degree, so you could do tech school and then just finish your pre-reqs, while working, and then apply.

You will need to bring your grades up. Most vet schools require at least a C, a few are ok with a C minus for required classes, but (and correct me if Im wrong ) I dont think vet schools will accept an overal GPA below 3.0. Vet schools will forgive bad grades if you make big improvements. So aim for an excellent last 45 credit hour GPA, and bring your overall GPA up.

If you are really struggling and doubting where you want to go I am a firm believer in a gap year. I wasnt ready for college out of high school and did a year overseas first. The break for the brain, and the ability to get out there and discover myself and the world really made a big difference for me being able to give my all at school. I took a break later too inbetween my associates and bachelors so youre not too old. Dont do it if you dont think you'd ever finish school if you stopped though.

Best of Luck!!!
 
My grades are my biggest concern at this point, especially since I'm almost done with my pre-reqs. But I still have all of my chemistry classes in front of me and microbio. Also, I had one more question. I know anything less than a C is not accepted. But the first time I took chem 1 I received a C. However my adviser had me retake it to bring up my grade and I received an F. So I have this class in front of me once again but I was just concerned how far the F grade would follow me from here on out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My grades are my biggest concern at this point, especially since I'm almost done with my pre-reqs. But I still have all of my chemistry classes in front of me and microbio. Also, I had one more question. I know anything less than a C is not accepted. But the first time I took chem 1 I received a C. However my adviser had me retake it to bring up my grade and I received an F. So I have this class in front of me once again but I was just concerned how far the F grade would follow me from here on out.

I would do everything in your power to get an A this time. Tutoring, talk with the teacher, study groups. If you have your old tests work through the problems again with a tutor. Do your homework and then go over the problems either with the teacher or the tutor. Get to know the professor. Work your butt off and do your best. And then do it again for Ochem on your first try. If you have a good relationship with your professor and they've seen the effort you've put into it maybe you could use them to give you a recommendation for vet school which might help make the C to F to A look better. They might ask you in an interview why your grade was worse the second time you took it. There is an explanation section on the application where I would recommend writing about how yes your grades were low the first time, but that you were able to turn it around and succeed in subsequent classes.

So, the grade will always be on your transcript, but with a lot of hard work you can turn it around and excel these last two years of undergrad 🙂
 
Thank you so much! I definitely need to buckle down. It makes me feel better knowing that, that F wont be the end of me. It will take a lot of work to make up the ground I've lost but I sure as hell will give it a good run. 🙂
 
I'm really new here although I've been stalking the forums long before actually making this account. Anyways, I feel a bit at odds with myself. I'm 21 and currently attending Ok State for Pre-vet, going on my second year here. I'm about 2 years out from graduating with my BS in Animal Science and I'm starting to have some doubts where vet school is concerned. My gpa is pretty deplorable. Went from a 3.0 to a 2.8 in the time I've been here. Chemistry and math have been kicking me up and down the court. I don't want to quit since this has always been my passion but I also want to be realistic. At this rate, vet school is getting further away. My sister believes I should attend the Bel-Rea Institute next year and become a licensed technician. Would this be detrimental to my hopes of ever getting into vet school? I realize that I would have to take two years off from the university to achieve this. But others are optimistic that with my license I could get paid work experience and go to school part time to finish off my requirements before applying to vet school. Any advice?

It sounds to me like we have a lot in common, including the Oklahoma part. PM me if you would like to meet and chat at a local Aspen or something - I'll be available after Tuesday, and more than happy to share any advice or insight I have. 🙂