Advice for a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westsidestoryz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took my MCAT for the second time and now I am preparing to apply again. My goal is to submit the application at the strike of 12 on 6/1 (I want to say I have worked towards my 2 biggest weaknesses from last cycle: low MCAT score and applying too late). As a reapplicant, I have the primary essay written up as well as LORs established with 3 professors, 1 MD, and 1 supervisor.

2 Questions:

1. Should I drastically change my primary reflecting this year’s changes or keep the context similar to my first time?

2. How should I ask for my LOR again from the same professors? Should I ask if they can submit the same one from last year or should I politely ask if they can strengthen the essay?

Members don't see this ad.

1) You should always rewrite your essays. Have as many eyeballs edit them as well
2) You can reuse LORs.

What does your list look like?
Good morning, Goro! It has been awhile

Should I change the contents drastically?

I havent made any lists yet. My plan is to make my list around my 2nd MCAT score. But I will cater more to the DO schools this year as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Refresh your ECs and PS verbiage at the very least. If a school you previously applied to pulls your old application, the one that got rejected, and sees it is just like the new application, it says you didnt even bother to update so how much motivation and commitment do you really have?

Get letters that are at least currently dated.
Do I mention my rejection and my new ECs? I don not want to use my new ECs entirely on my PS since it was one of my most memorable ECs and i know its not good to use it twice.

Refresh your ECs and PS verbiage at the very least. If a school you previously applied to pulls your old application, the one that got rejected, and sees it is just like the new application, it says you didnt even bother to update so how much motivation and commitment do you really have?

Get letters that are at least currently dated.

@gonnif , Is it common for a school to pull up a previous primary, or even secondaries? I feel like that would take a lot of extra time. I had submitted a primary last cycle, but I realized foolishly that it was much too late and therefore only committed to sending a couple secondaries. Should I also refresh mine as well?

I was in a similar boat to you this past cycle. Had to retake the MCAT and then re-applied.

I reworked my personal statement and ended up changing a lot of it even though the "feel" of it I would say was similar. I think if you had a lot of interviews this cycle or a lot of feedback saying that your PS was strong, then keep most of the content and just rework it somehow. You can always improve writing.

I had my LOR's updated but I've heard mixed things about that.

Reactions: 1 user