1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Advice for a somewhat delicate issue

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by kishn, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kishn

kishn Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi all!!!!!
    its my first time in the US from India. i've come to give the national boards in july. trying to get accustomed to all the changes here but i'm having One Major difficulty adjusting and that is:

TOILET PAPER!!!

its been 3 weeks for me here and i still cant get used to it. feels disgusting.
    Are there any of you out there who faced the same problem?
    would like your advice.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc_redd

doc_redd Peehu
    7+ Year Member

hey kishn,
    cool man cool .............:laugh: :laugh:

herez an idea :idea: how about this.............
    right when u r in the bathroom,imagine ur water heater stops working,and the weather outside is -20 degree centigrade ,then i am sure u would love ur toilet paper to death...............;)

4. Athene

Athene 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

5. ToTaLLy_TaSha

ToTaLLy_TaSha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  6. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

I second that!! :laugh: :laugh:

7. kishn

kishn Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey ToTaLLy_TaSha. are you from the sdm dharwad college?

8. nobrains

nobrains Junior Member

I sympathize with you concern and truely feel proud that you raised the issue (I would think the forum is not the right place to do it as it is a forum where students from all across the world participate .... ) which is quite personal and something that is new and different.

When I came to the US, I thought this was something awkward and the practise is not really clean per se. I later realised that this is not that bad afterall its usage model is to clean oneself which is what you are really doing with toilet paper.

Anyway, hang in there as more surprises are on the way -- but in short you will realise that America is a different place and a place where things are done differently and methodically.

BTW, which part of India are u from!!! Quite curious that you were not told about it before coming over here. FYI, I hope you know the difference between "biscuts" and "cookies"... I went into a store as asked for biscuts and bought it home to be returned back as biscuts are food for animals and "cookies" are the ones humans eat.... there are many more that u will learn the hard and embarrasing way!!!!

Later.

9. sam3

sam3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Worst jop :idea: :laugh: :laugh:

Attached Files:

10. ToTaLLy_TaSha

ToTaLLy_TaSha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes... how did you know??? :scared:

:p I'm thinking of all the 'kishn's I knew there... are you krishna rao, krishna charan shetty, or the kishen from dharwad?? Sorry for not seeing the post earlier.. This is a nice surprise.. reply/PM me.

Tasha

11. Meggs

7+ Year Member

Another culturally challenging question:

What do you use in India????

12. Meggs

7+ Year Member

Since we're on the topic,

Toilets of the World
    We've all been there. Nature calls and the only answer is a toilet with more levers, switches, and buttons than Wily E. Coyote's latest invention. What to do? If you're Bob Cromwell, the answer is obvious: You take a picture. Dedicated to the man and the latrines he's dared to use, Toilets of the World features photos and captions from Bob's many encounters with the cryptic, the seatless, and the downright weird. During his travels through Russia, East Asia, and South America, Bob never met a commode he didn't want to remember. From an Ottoman-era throne of a more modest variety to a hole-in-the-ground kind enough to offer tips on feet placement, you're bound to gain a quick appreciation for Bob, the Indiana Jones (and Ansel Adams) of latrines.

http://www.cromwell-intl.com/toilet/#sea

13. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

By all means, stay away from dog biscuits. However biscuits are also people food. People biscuits differ from cookies in that they are generally unsweetened and are also more fluffy than cookies due to the addition of baking powder and baking soda into the biscuit batter. One favorite way to eat people biscuits in the USA is hot from the oven with a healthy portion of melted butter spread on the inside. Sometimes sugar is added to the biscuit mix if one chooses to use the biscuit in a desert such as strawberry shortcake.

14. keynesisback

keynesisback Member
    7+ Year Member

:D I dont know about everyone, but i guess people around kishn walk around with nose-clips.:rolleyes:

15. kishn

kishn Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

wow this topic has really degenerated to discussions on toilet history and cookie/biscuit differences..... :sleep:
    meggs were you a ever a history major? must find it easy to put people to sleep. no need for GA even.

people in india use water. u cant get a fresher feeling than that. better than walking around with ur bum all crusty keynesisback
    :D

16. Meggs

7+ Year Member

Welcome to the West buddy. ;)

17. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

Its not your bum thats all crusty, laloo its your brain thats full of it!! and no amount of water can get rid of that :laugh:

Honestly why did you come to this forum? to pick fights, start anal topics about toilet paper? Most of us were pretty happy here till you arrived, grow up or crawl back to where you came from!! If you want some serious help, everyone on this forum will be more than glad to help you, but if you've come here to create trouble, then please leave. Oh and while your washing that crusty stuff of your brain, use it on your mouth too, maybe your next post will come out sounding a little nicer.

18. kishn

kishn Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

i'm not the one picking fights bh.
    your'e the one making this personal. maybe your brains full of water with all the rain they seem to have in england. time to pull on your ear to flush your brains out :D :laugh:

and by the way i've not come here to make trouble but if you want some you'll get some. :smuggrin:

19. Henna

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Everyone-
    Please behave professionally.

Henna

20. DentalSupremo

DentalSupremo Member
    7+ Year Member

The last thing one would expect in this forum is a slanging match on culture and which one is better.
    Now that everyone has expressed thier opinions, how about closing this thread.

21. nondentist

nondentist Member
    7+ Year Member

These are Mrinalini`s words in her earlier post... seems she forgot about them !!!!

22. Meggs

7+ Year Member

The same way the Simposons and the Cutural Diversity threads should have been closed and the offenders had been reprimended.......................

23. kishn

kishn Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

by offenders you mean yourself right?

24. kishn

kishn Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

that was for mrinalini btw

25. toothlord

toothlord Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

26. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for reminding me nondentist:) . My biggest mistake was reacting to trolls. I wont do it anymore. I think the best punishment for attention seeking individuals is to not give them what they want most,"attention".

27. sam3

sam3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Kishn :

Hold on budy , I have just seen this post . (I MYSELF ) use water ,but since you started your thread by saying ( Advice for a somewhat delicate issue ) ,then you should RESPECT this delicacy .

You think you'r tough dude ????? if you have the guts , try to post these 2 sentances on the Dental or pre-Dental forums where American students post .I bet they will knock your head down & make you a joke .Try it & let me know what happined .

OR how about this ; Try to say those 2 sentances to a US immigration officer.............maybe he will pack you and ship you back on the same plane you came on .

If you are coming to a new(western ) country ,you should at least respect there cultur, in case you want them to respect your culture .

I do not think so hunny .you are a new member and you started your 1st thread fighting with everyone .Read the whole thread from the biginig & tell me who is really starting the fight here ????

If you still wanna fight with everyone ,I guess I have other alternatives to refresh your BBBBBBBu.............rain .

THINK WISE BEFOR YOU RESPOND TO OTHER MEMBERS .

28. Henna

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.