advice for a sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cal2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post :)D) and I'd just like some advice on where to go from here. Here are my stats as of the moment--any recs for what I should do before applying after my junior year?

Currently a sophomore
Undergrad: UC Berkeley
sGPA: 3.98
cumulative GPA: 3.91

EC's:

-currently on the board of directors for a non-profit on campus
-SAT class teacher for another non-profit at Cal--I'll very likely be on the board for this group next year
-part of a Christian fellowship group
-have written fiction and art for two campus magaines (not sure if it helps since they're school groups...)
-Alternative Breaks (a service trip)
-Concrete canoe team (exactly what it sounds like, for fun really...)
-archery club (just for fun, I still suck)
-Cal anime club (long-time member)
-volunteer at various other non-medical related community service groups on campus (tutoring elementary school kids, visiting the elderly, gender equality center, etc...)

Clinical experience:
-150+ hours volunteering at a hospital over the past year
-spent a summer at another hospital tutoring autistic children (not sure if this is teaching or clinical work, as it was play-based therapy), got about 100+ hours over the summer but the program's closed since :(

Research:
-I've spent the last year in a paleobotany lab (would this type of lab help or hurt me?), have no published
-will go into either a medical research lab at a nearby hospital or a professor's lab to focus on my major (need advice here)
-note: am planning on doing the honors program in my major, which will involve a senior thesis

Work:
-on a side-note, I work part-time to help pay for textbooks/etc..., but only about 6 hours a week.

So what do you guys think? Go ahead and build on what I've got now, or focus on different areas?

Thanks ahead of time for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
List everything.
Get a good MCAT.
You're in.

Your ECs are coming along nicely. It looks like you'll have a lot of solid activities. Don't forget shadowing, too.

It doesn't matter what type of research you do. Publications are good, but most don't have them. Being in an honors program and completing a thesis won't help you get into med school, but do it if you want to. You can list the thesis project under Other if it isn't research.

Consider listing the alternative break stuff with other short-term community service to save some space.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies!

Though what does "list everything" mean? Maybe my post was too long?

Lookin good! :thumbup: Just have to do well on MCATs and you're good to go.

Thanks for the replies!

Though what does "list everything" mean? Maybe my post was too long?
Reading his mind (he'll correct me if I'm wrong), I believe he meant that all the hobbies and clubs and long term interests, though not related to medicine, make you look well-rounded and interesting, and not just another cookie cutter, has-the-average-experiences-on-their-list sort of a person. This was triggered by your "not sure if it helps" and "just for fun" comments.

Reading his mind (he'll correct me if I'm wrong), I believe he meant that all the hobbies and clubs and long term interests, though not related to medicine, make you look well-rounded and interesting, and not just another cookie cutter, has-the-average-experiences-on-their-list sort of a person. This was triggered by your "not sure if it helps" and "just for fun" comments.

Are you a psychiatrist?

haha, maybe both. Still, thank you for all the advice everyone! I've still got a ways to go, but it's nice to know I'm on the right path. :)