Rising Sophomore: Any Advice? How Am I Doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_1234

Reaction score
I'd appreciate it if you could avoid quoting this! Just wanted some feedback on how/where I can improve as I enter sophomore year.

GPA: 4.0 sGPA/cGPA

MCAT: N/A. Scored a 516 (128/132/129/127) on a Kaplan FL.

Ethnicity: Asian

College: Private, non-selective T100~ school, R2 research institution

Clinical Experience: I'll have 150–200 hours of hospital volunteering across two hospitals by the end of the summer. This includes visiting patients with dementia and absent families in long-term care, sitting with patients with disabilities, and being in the ED. One of the hospitals is a major teaching hospital near my college, whereas the other is very rural.

Research Experience: I have 100 hours as a Research Assistant in a psychology/physiology lab at my university. I facilitate a study that involves attaching ECGs and analyzing heart rate and respiratory data, but I also do some literature review and a couple other smaller projects. While I haven't done any posters or abstracts for this lab, I did present a poster at our Honors Research Symposium for an independent project in environmental medicine that I worked on.

Shadowing Experience: None at the moment :( I am trying to shadow a local dermatologist before the school year starts, but I might also shadow my pediatrician since we have a great relationship already.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: I've volunteered for 150 hours as an exhibit facilitator at a children's science museum. I handle reptiles and marine animals and teach kids about anatomy, and I've also helped train new volunteers. We often get groups from local camps dedicated for underserved kids.

Other Extracurricular Activities:
  • (250~ hours) I've been a writer and editor (E-Board) for our student paper since the start of my freshman year. I was also a stand-in managing editor for some time, too, and we're upping our production to several thousand magazines per issue. I enjoy the work, but I'm thinking about reducing my role and/or parting ways just to focus more on school/research/other things.
  • (250~ hours) I'm on the E-Board of a debate/political club on campus. We attend international competitions each year, and right now I'm taking the lead on organizing a local conference for a couple hundred kids in the state.
  • (50~ hours) I serve as an alumni panelist and mentor for students in this research program I did while in high school. I wasn't planning on including my participation in the program itself since that was a couple years ago now, but it's a respected and well-known program with students from 30+ countries.
  • (Future) I'm going to be an Orientation Leader for our Honors College in a couple weeks, but I'm also assigned to a cohort of students that I'll help out for the rest of the year.
  • (Future) I'll be an SI for Intro Chem at my university this year, as well as a TA for Gen Bio for at least this semester. I'll organize review workshops and recitations a couple times a week.
Awards and Honors: None from college at the moment, besides Dean's List each semester. There are several community service and leadership awards I want to apply for at my school this upcoming year, though.

Other Notes:
  • I plan to graduate college a year early. I'm not sure whether I should apply during my first year off or if I should wait an additional year after that, meaning I would have two gap years. I was honestly leaning toward the latter, especially since I'm interested in doing a Fulbright or some other large scholarship/internship program.
  • I was thinking about joining an environmental medicine lab at a T30 medical school a couple minutes away from my university. There unfortunately aren't any labs in that field at my college but that's a field I've been very interested in since high school. This would likely mean sacrificing one of my E-Board positions. I do want to start making research a priority since academic research is in the back of my mind down the road.
  • I've also considered transferring to a better school with greater opportunities. I did get into an Ivy (one of HYP) but had to turn it down for numerous reasons, but at this point I might as well stay and commit myself to all my current responsibilities than restart elsewhere.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted some feedback on how/where I can improve as I enter sophomore year.
1) Get community service hours that involve alleviating others' distress (food bank, housing rehab, job/tax/social assistance, shelter volunteering, transportation service). Your museum work is an extension of your academic competencies and not service orientation.

2) Shadowing in primary care would be nice.

3) As mentioned in a different thread, look for research opportunities. Keep doing well in classes to make it easier for faculty to think you actually know enough science to understand working in labs.

4) Seriously get a plan to study for the MCAT. We have the study plan.

5) Start documenting everything (Premed Planner app) so that it makes things easier to write up for your AMCAS W/A section.

6) Get your letters.