Advice for advanced degree/other year out prior to residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

creative11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I just wanted to start a thread for those who are taking a year after finishing required graduation requirements for med school, but are taking a year to do an MBA or MPH or research or anything not clinical prior to residency in IM or a pre-lim year. I'll graduate officially next year though.

I don't want to lose the clinical knowledge I have learned - I'll do what I can to minimize this; I'll be busy during this 1 year, but during vacations, weekends maybe I can do what I can to keep my skills intact. What would work best?

-reading NEJM review articles?
-getting USMLE World step 3 access for the year? (am done w/ other steps)
-reviewing 3rd/4th year course materials regularly?

Just wanted some thoughts, I just worried about forgetting so much! But what I'm doing for a year is part of my career goal, so it will be worth it in the end.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all - I just wanted to start a thread for those who are taking a year after finishing required graduation requirements for med school, but are taking a year to do an MBA or MPH or research or anything not clinical prior to residency in IM or a pre-lim year. I'll graduate officially next year though.

I don't want to lose the clinical knowledge I have learned - I'll do what I can to minimize this; I'll be busy during this 1 year, but during vacations, weekends maybe I can do what I can to keep my skills intact. What would work best?

-reading NEJM review articles?
-getting USMLE World step 3 access for the year? (am done w/ other steps)
-reviewing 3rd/4th year course materials regularly?

Just wanted some thoughts, I just worried about forgetting so much! But what I'm doing for a year is part of my career goal, so it will be worth it in the end.

Thanks!

I wouldn't waste time with the journals - just skim the abstracts and read whatever interests you, but don't expect much value in terms of the wards. There's a reason many residents regard journal club more as a chore than a great educational hour. Studying for and passing Step 3 before you start residency is a plus/minus kind of thing. On the one hand it would be great to have it out of the way. On the other hand a lot if the things you will many spend hours learning as a pre-intern are going to be things that simply pop out of your mouth when the pager goes off by late in intern year, and so Step 3 is actually much easier to prepare for after an intense intern year. Pick up a copy of MTB if you must, it's not too painful a read. I see very little value reviewing the old med school notes.

Great tips, thanks!