Advice for Biomedical Engineering Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Markobenin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently a 4th year Biomedical Engineering student at UC Irvine and recently decided to take the remaining premed classes I was missing and study for the MCAT the year after I graduate and apply next summer in 2011. I was just wondering if I could get some advice from the members of this forum on things I might be missing on my application. Below are my "stats".

Major: Biomedical Engineering w/ Specialization in Biophotonics
Minor: Management
Cumulative GPA: 3.774 (with 60 more units left to take, I'm confident in getting my cumulative up to ~3.82 by the time I'm done with everything)
Science GPA (Chem, Physics, Math, Bio): ~3.96
MCAT: Taking it sometime before May 2011

EC's/Awards:

- 3+ years working on an ambulance as an EMT-B while going to school full time
- 1 year of research at a Biomedical startup developing a diagnostic device for diabetes (Currently working there)
- Organized and participated in numerous philanthropic events through my fraternity
- Ran a successful house painting company through a business/management internship my third year (Interviewed & hired employees, Interacted with customers on estimates, Leadership skills, Debating whether to even put this one on a med school app as it's not really "medical-field" related, any advice on this one would be helpful)
- 1 year of research with a Biomedical Lasers company for my senior design project modeling cornea simulations and analysis for cataract Lasik surgery
- Recipient of Waltos Group Future Business Leader Scholarship (again debating whether to even put this on my app since it's not related to the medical field)
- Member of a couple of BME organizations/clubs

I will be done with all my classes after this summer, and plan to end my current position at the Biomedical start up company and to resume working as an EMT, however I plan on landing a position in the ER to gain further in-hospital experience. I'm also planning on getting some volunteer hours under my belt by going to a foreign country for 2-3 weeks during December to volunteer as an EMT (Christmas break for those still in school). Also debating whether or not to try and shadow a doctor or two since that's something I haven't done yet...

I was wondering how my status is as an applicant? Also, do I need to do anything else before I apply next summer to beef up my extracurricular section? I haven't been able to get any volunteer hours done because I've had to support myself throughout college, hence working was a must and did not leave time for much else besides school. This is also the reason I wasn't able to do research at my school labs, but am getting the research hours through a paid internship at a biomed company and my senior design biomedical project.

One final question, do med schools look at majors differently? I ask because the Biomedical Engineering curriculum is infinitely harder than the easy as pie Biology curriculum (no offense to the Bio kids!).

Thanks in advance!

-Marko

Members don't see this ad.

I would also like to add that I'm mainly interested in going to an in-state medical school. I have no particular preference as to which one...I may apply to some "dream" schools like Harvard or Johns Hopkins just to see what happens, but not really relying on those.

Put everything on. Get a great MCAT. Shadow more doctors. You're in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow you are in really good shape, but once that MCAT comes in you will have a much better prediction of where you will end up. Good luck and nice to meet another CA.

On a side note, could you PM me your high school stats when you got into UCI because I want to know whether your grades were correlated with smarts or hard work + normal. Thanks. (I am a HS Senior)

Grades are correlated with hard work.

Starting a company and running it is leadership and therefor relevant. Did you pay taxes on your income?

Be sure to shadow US-based physician.

Paid research is fine.

All awards and honors should be listed in one space on the application (including scholarships).

Thanks for the replies. I will be sure to shadow some doctors once I get more established in the ER when I get an ER Tech position in a few months.

To answer your question Catalystik, Yes I did pay taxes on my income, as it was done through a company, not entirely my own business.

I feel like the one thing I might be lacking in is the volunteer experience. I will be able to get ~60-80hrs when I go to Costa Rica after I graduate, however I don't think it's worth doing besides adding it to my resume like everybody else. I have and will gain far greater clinical experience working as an EMT, whether it's on an ambulance or ER, instead of filing paperwork and cleaning beds all day as a volunteer in a hospital. Any suggestions on this topic?

Last edited:
To answer your questions Catalystik, Yes I did pay taxes on my income, as it was done through a company, not entirely my own business.
And why did I ask, you say? I've heard of others who started their own business and somehow cough*overlooked*cough the idea of reporting the income to the govenment. It sorta negates the leadership aspect if you're asked about this in an interview and don't have the right answer, so I'm glad you (or your sponsoring organization) have been responsible.

I feel like the one thing I might be lacking in is the volunteer experience. I will be able to get ~60-80hrs when I go to Costa Rica after I graduate
Your application needs to reflect altruism in some way, and it needn't necessarily be via volunteerism. Any activity where you act outside of your own self-interest will do. Some types of sports involvement can do this, as can helping out at home, maybe even working through college to save your folks the expense, or having a family to support. If you've had heavy hours of work, adcomms will not hold you to the usual standard for community service, etc., in my opinion. If you have any short-term, like 1-2 day activites where you raced to raise money, ushered for a charity concert, cleaned up campus, they can all be listed on AMCAS, using one space that you name "Short-Term Community Service," by their date. Military service qualifies also. Start remembering what they were.

Thanks for the input Catalystik. As I stated previously, I worked throughout my college career working 2 12hr shifts on weekends to help pay for my rent, books and other expenses. The only financial help I get from my dad (parents are divorced, family is in Eastern Europe, just me and him in the States) is for food.

I did play IFC (Greek system) sports throughout college too, mainly basketball. So I guess I'll put that on my app also.

I'll see how much time I have after I graduate, after working and studying for the MCAT hours, for additional volunteering or "altruistic" activities.