Advice for Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jgonza60

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice for the following situation: I majored in BS in Rehabilitation Services at UTRGV Dec 2017, took some post-bac courses this spring and summer, and have an overall institution GPA of 3.15 (although cumulative without replacement is 2.62, science gpa 2.7). I have 400 hours of volunteering for academic credit at a hospital and hospice, 40 hours of volunteer work, 50 hours shadowing a dentist, and previously worked in a hospital emergency room as a Certified Patient Access Associate for two years.

I have not taken the DAT (registered for August 28th) and still have to take organic chemistry 2 and Physics 2, which I am registered to take in the Fall along with Microbiology, Biochemistry, and Genetics. I started out terribly in the first few years of college, due to hard living conditions, the burden placed on my family due to my father’s schizophrenia, and I developed a panic disorder during these hard times. However, things turned around for me and I was able to successfully obtain my degree and showed tremendous improvement during the last two years. My major GPA is 3.61, was on the dean’s list for three consecutive semesters, and was placed on the President’s List this spring. I just recently took the following courses and received the following grades:

Anatomy & Physiology II - A
General Chemistry II Lab - A
General Chemistry II - A
General Physics I - A
Organic Chemistry I Lab - B
Organic Chemistry I - B
Elementary Statistical Methods - A

I am currently applying for dental schools but I am not sure if it’s even worth the time and money. Also, I am considering to apply for an smp program, a premedical certificate that involves upper-level undergraduate, or just continue take taking more courses at my university.
Any and all advice on this is truly appreciated. Thanks a million and I apologize for the information overload.

Members don't see this ad.

So first off, I'm confused by the two different GPAs you have? If its the 3.15 then I can tell you thats a little low for the liking of many schools.

also, taking the DAT without having taken Orgo 2 is going to be tough unless you're really good at chem and teaching it to yourself. so taking the DAT this august probably isnt a good idea unless you're really knocking it out of the park with the studying. I would focus on knocking out those courses you have for this fall because it sounds like its going to be a tough semester. I haven't been accepted to dental school yet but I can tell you that much. I think others here can offer much better advice about moving onwards.

Sorry for the confusion! The gpa calculated by aadsas will be about a 2.62 cumulative and a 2.7 Science GPA. My university transcript shows a 3.15 but from my understanding, it's calculated a bit differently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying this current cycle? I personally wouldn't bother if you aren't taking the DAT until the end of August - your application will be complete very late and your GPA, as you pointed out, is pretty low. I think you would be better off saving your money and strengthening your application with an SMP or continued post-bac, and focusing on doing really well on the DAT.

Are you applying this current cycle? I personally wouldn't bother if you aren't taking the DAT until the end of August - your application will be complete very late and your GPA, as you pointed out, is pretty low. I think you would be better off saving your money and strengthening your application with an SMP or continued post-bac, and focusing on doing really well on the DAT.
Yes I'm applying this cycle. My application is pretty much complete, so I'm assuming schools will have my completed application by the time I take the DAT.

Have you already submitted your app? You said it's complete but are wondering if it's worth the money. Bad idea to apply imo. Going for this cycle would be a complete waste.

I have not submitted my application yet, still debating if I should give it a shot.

I have not submitted my application yet, still debating if I should give it a shot.
Skip this cycle. This process is a marathon and if you sprint in the beginning, you will never finish.
Save your application money this cycle. Get into a Master's program to show you can handle a graduate level courseload of advanced sciences. Take your DAT next year after the coursework, then apply. You will have a MUCH better chance.