Advice for Fall 2014 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khriss209

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am planing on applying for fall admissions 2014. I applied last year to Pacific in OR (got wait listed) Then A.Z. Still ( didn't get in) I graduated with B.S in SLP&Audiology spring 2011 with major GPA of 3.1, I have taken some classes after graduating and brought the GPA up, my last 60units GPA is a 3.3.. I have 2 years of experience working as a school audiometrist and 1 year doing ABR's (auditory brain response) on newborns, as well as volunteering in Aud offices. I have looked into apply to more schools this year, location isn't an issue. I'm not too big on the research aspect of the field, more pediatric. below is a list of the schools, I am wondering if anyone has any application advice or insight on these programs or any other programs. THANKS for the help =)

Nova South University
Texas Tech
Pacific (OR)
University Arkansas
University Connecticut
Louisiana State University
Louisiana Tech
University South Mississippi
East Carolina
Utah State University

Members don't see this ad.

I have similar situation.. I applied year ago and was rejected to couple of schools. I am currently working with an audiologist at a Dr's office... I have major GPA of 3.0 and GRE verbal and math put together approximately 300...

Now... Question is I dont know if I should give up on applying to Au.D program.. I am planning on applying for Fall 2014 but IF anyone have any suggestions please help me.. i will really appreciate your help! Also any schools that I might have chance with...?

khriss209, it sounds like you have some good experience and your GPA is pretty okay. It sounds like the issue is with your GRE scores, personal statement or the letters of recommendation. If your GRE isn't at least 300+ combined, it might be worth the effort to retake it. With regard to your PS, did you have any of your professors/colleagues review it prior to sending it with your applications? Also, I applied to AT Still (AZ) and was accepted, but they told me that the last cycle was the most competitive that they had ever had, so don't let that kill your hopes. :)

kksy, I don't think you should totally discount the idea of applying to AuD school (if you don't make it this cycle), but it sounds like you should definitely apply more broadly. There are definitely programs out there that will take you (but, as I mentioned above, there might be some issue with your PS/letters of rec), but you should try to keep an open mind about relocating to a different part of the US, if you're truly interested in getting into school.

Hey guys... saw this post and thought I would add some advice based on the application process I went through last year.

Here are the things I think are most important when applying:

1. APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. I cannot stress this enough. I applied very late in the process (I mean days before the deadline) and as result I ended up on a lot of wait lists. The fact is, as schools send out more and more acceptance letters, their standards increase. So the earlier you apply the better chances you have at acceptance.

2. Figure out your weaknesses and find ways to compensate. The four pillars of the application are your grades, your GRE, your letters of rec, and your essay. If your grades aren't good (and honestly they don't really need to be for grad school), get a decent GRE score, cultivate good letters and WRITE YOUR HEART AND SOUL INTO THAT ESSAY.

3. Letters of Rec can be very helpful. I made sure to develop relationships with professors well in advance of this requirement. But even if you haven't, the key is to show them just how passionate you are about the profession and your future. Professors are there to help you succeed, if one refuses to write you a good letter (and it's okay to ask if they're going to write you a good letter) then find someone else to help you.

4. The essay. It sounds easy. It's not easy. Start writing a couple months before the due date and constantly revise and edit it. Make sure you have as many people as possible read it. You want it to be easily understood and not boring. DO NOT JUST WRITE ABOUT YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS... the point of the essay is to show how what you have done has prepared you to learn and grow and be a professional. Think abstractly. I bought a book to help me with this... http://www.amazon.com/Graduate-Admissions-Essays-Fourth-Edition/dp/1607743213

5. Contact a professor at every school you are applying to. Make sure to review their work first and cultivate an interest in them. They can give you suggestions on getting accepted to their school and in some instances they've been known to assist in making the decision to accept you. Plus if you end up going to that school you're a step ahead of everyone else.

6. If you are wait listed, FOLLOW UP! Show them that you are motivated to go to that school. The second I was informed I was on the wait list I sent a letter telling them I was honored to be considered, I was still very much interested in their program, and sent them an additional letter of recommendation. Also... this is when networking pays off. If you have been talking to a professor there, ask if they have any ideas how to push the scale in your favor. REMEMBER BEING WAIT-LISTED IS NOT THE SAME AS BEING REJECTED. Think of it like a scale, with acceptance on one plate and rejection on the other... perfectly balanced and canceling each other out. Do anything you can to add to that acceptance plate and push the odds in your favor. Find someone who either graduated from that program or knows people there (hit up all your professors) they might offer to help you out or at the very least offer good suggestions as to how to get in.

I started out last year with a 3.1 GPA, a BA in Speech & Hearing Sciences and a 315 on the GRE (V:164/M:151) When I applied last year I did just about everything wrong. I applied way too close to the deadline and as a result I was wait listed at a lot of places. Luckily I was told about the importance of networking and was able to get myself on the acceptance list. Now I'm a first-year AuD student at Northwestern!

PS - Also remember that if you are applying through CSDCAS, they are ridiculously slow. So you should have your app in about a month earlier than the written deadline!

Reactions: 1 user