Applying for Fall 2014- advice and reassurance needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maureen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ads

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's really difficult to find anything geared directly towards Audiology at the undergrad level. I'm a senior in CSD and my B.S. program is verrrrry school-based SLP focused in its curriculum and opportunities. I (and I'm sure many other people at other institutions) have fought for every ounce of experience.

The best advice I can give is to just start OBSERVING. Call local audiologists in private practice, audiologists at a hospital, an ENT office, a school for the deaf, etc. I've been able to have at least four different internships and all of them have come from observing with an audiologist and then asking if they need help or if they'd allow me to continue working with them. You'd be surprised how many professionals are supportive of your career choice!

After trying to find the "direct" experience, it's helpful to immerse yourself in other things to show you're well-rounded. Being a student athlete is great experience! It could be tutoring, volunteering in any area, or going to as many local conferences and lectures as possible.

I think as long as you can get some experience seeing exactly what an audiologist does, that gives you enough knowledge to know what you're getting into. Personally, (and I don't know this for sure), I think admissions committees just want to see that you know what you're getting yourself into by committing to this profession. They want to see that you'll contribute more than just perfect grades to their program and that you won't quit because you weren't completely sure an AuD is what you wanted. As long as you can express your passion and commitment, I think the amount of direct experience is weighed a little less than your personality and what you have to tell them.

Hope this helps a little!! =)

Reactions: 1 user
In case you haven't tried already, try to get involved with your school's NSSLHA or SAA (Student Academy of Audiology) chapters, as they usually have volunteer opportunities available for their members. If you've already gone that route, you can always look into campus or community health fair volunteering. Any health field volunteer experience is better than none. I also agree with BrianaGrace17 that shadowing/observing is a great way to get your foot in the door, but if you are a student athlete and have a trying schedule, health fairs might be a good route for you.

My input: stop applying to AuD programs.

It is not worth it. Apply the money and time you would spend to another endeavor. You could do multiple unpaid internships in a variety of fields and be much better off than you would be with an AuD degree.

To expand a little bit more. There is no scope of practice and there will not be any more of one in the future. The work is rote and requires little in the way of skill, certainly does not take four years to learn the very limited scope of the field. Most of the courses are just fluff. What little there is of substance is often useless clinically.

You would be better off spending a year prepping for a physicians assistant school and then becoming a PA (better pay, actual legit scope of practice). You would graduate sooner too.

I speak from experience. I am in a highly-rated program that I will be leaving at the end of the semester. I finally woke up and saw the giant gap between what you learn and what you practice. Then I realized I need to do something better, something bigger than perform hearing tests and sell hearing aids.

Take my comments with however big a grain a salt you want, but I caution you before committing. It took me two years to realize my mistake. Still, I am glad it didn't take me a moment longer.