Advice for Friend Unable to Pass the NBME CCSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDTrailblazer

Reaction score
Hi All, my friend (attends the same Caribbean school as me) is currently in quite a tough situation and has asked me to post on her behalf here. She has completed her clinical years and the only thing that is preventing her from graduating is the NBME Comprehensive Clinical Science Examination. Like many Caribbean schools, our school uses this exam to determine our eligibility to sit for the USMLE Step 2. Unfortunately, my friend has taken the NBME CCSE a total of 6 times (yes you read that correctly). She received a 227 and 223 the last two times she took the exam respectively. Unfortunately, while these scores are above the "low pass" range, the school has it's own dynamic eligibility criteria which is preventing her from being eligible to the take the step 2. Do you guys have any advice to relay to her moving forward? She has told me she plans on transferring (opinions on this?)

Thanks in Advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean honestly if she can't get a score over 230 with 6 attempts, her odds of doing well on step 2 CK are abysmal and consequently matching

She needs to look at why her scores are poor. Poor study habits? Untreated ADHD? Bad study environment with excess distractions e.g. children, unstable housing