Advice for future OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gould409

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year dental student. Naturally, I haven't had much experience in the dental field. Nonetheless, I still want to specialize and was considering OMFS. I know its super competitive and only superior applicants get into the programs (especially the 6 year MD programs) For those OMFS's out there , what did you guys do the first summer off of Dental school? Research? Intern? Shadow?

Also, I know only of two 6 year MD OMFS programs. UCLA and UCSF. Any other MD 6 year MD programs out there or are the rest all 4 years???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

gould409 said:
Any other MD 6 year MD programs out there or are the rest all 4 years???
Here is a better link!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah-E said:
Here is a better link!

Yah-e I thought you were dead - No My dental school graduation journey thread or My life as a resident journey thread either! :D

gould409 said:
I'm a first year dental student. Naturally, I haven't had much experience in the dental field. Nonetheless, I still want to specialize and was considering OMFS. I know its super competitive and only superior applicants get into the programs (especially the 6 year MD programs) For those OMFS's out there , what did you guys do the first summer off of Dental school? Research? Intern? Shadow?

Also, I know only of two 6 year MD OMFS programs. UCLA and UCSF. Any other MD 6 year MD programs out there or are the rest all 4 years???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

i did research

gould409 said:
... I know its super competitive and only superior applicants get into the programs (especially the 6 year MD programs) For those OMFS's out there , what did you guys do the first summer off of Dental school? Research?
I did research and drank a ton of beer.

What makes you think the 6-year programs are more competitive than the 4-year programs?