Advice for future reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truthserum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- longtime lurker and second time poster here. This fall, I decided to apply to several (15ish) DO schools and my state MD school, albeit late in the process. At the moment, I am currently just waiting on responses from all of those schools. While waiting, I started thinking about my application and the realistic chance I got into a school this cycle. As stated earlier, I applied relatively late...verified mid November. FWIW, here are my stats:

South Dakota Resident
Zoology Major, upward trend.
Freshman year: 2.65 (tough one)
Sophmore year: 3.70
Junior year: 3.80
Senior year: 3.60
Super Senior year: 3.85
cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.61
MCAT: 22 (10,4,8) on 8/12 & 26 (9,7,10) on 9/13

ECs:
1000+ clinical hours in ICU (ongoing)
2000 (~18 months) hours of research in a muscle physiology lab
Two publications, neither being first author
One poster presentation
75 hours shadowing (ortho, general surgery, cardiology, ENT)
100 hours of nonclinical volunteering (American Red Cross & American Diabetes Association)
I have four solid LORs: 1 MD, 1 DO, 2 science instructors

Now, lets say I do not get accepted. I could 1) retake the MCAT or 2) try to submit my applications early next cycle and try to strengthen all other areas of my application? In my eyes, MCAT seems like the only game changer if I can get it to 29-30. Even then, I'd still only have a LizzyM score of 65. If that were the case, I have taken all the AAMC exams & and TBR exams. Where would I turn to next? I'm having trouble figuring out my next step. Any help would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Even with a late application, I don't see why you wouldn't be considered for your state school. Last yr, only 58 matriculated there. One thing SD needs is more IS med students. And your stats are ok too.

I personally would not start med school without breaking 30 on the MCAT. There are endless multi-hour multiple choice exams in med school and forever, with no time to figure out how to do well on them during med school. And your fate is hugely determined by your board scores.

The practice exams aren't helping you. They do not test your mastery of the entire body of testable content. You will never see those questions on the real test. You need to be ready for other questions on the real test, which means you need to work on all the content.

Pay some money for a structured prep course, or at least buy the Examkracker 1001 books and work all those problems.

I agree that SD is your best target.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to really help yourself if you can get that mcat in the 27+ range

First, thanks for the responses everybody. I pretty much figured I would need to retake the MCAT. However, this leads me to another question: how would I go upon doing that? Should I just re-read TBR, take the passages I didn't do, and probably get the 1001 series as well? Not to mention VR...I used both TPR Verbal and EK 101 passages. Any other good resources in terms of VR? What is the best type of MCAT class out there? Too bad actual in class classes cost a ton of money. Also, anyone think Chad's Vids might be a good resource for review? As you can see, I'm pretty lost here.

Last edited:
2/3 of your responders are female. There's an MCAT forum on SDN that you will find useful.

First, thanks for the responses everybody. I pretty much figured I would need to retake the MCAT. However, this leads me to another question: how would I go upon doing that? Should I just re-read TBR, take the passages I didn't do, and probably get the 1001 series as well? Not to mention VR...I used both TPR Verbal and EK 101 passages. Any other good resources in terms of VR? What is the best type of MCAT class out there? Too bad actual in class classes cost a ton of money. Also, anyone think Chad's Vids might be a good resource for review? As you can see, I'm pretty lost here.
I found Chad's videos very helpful, not to mention TBR for both physics and chemistry. I can't say I could give you suggestions on what you should do next, cause im in the same spot. The world has a weird way of falling into place when you least expect it, if you're determined and this is your passion then you'll find a way. I have the utmost confidence in you. Keep faith and good luck!