Advice for High School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superkelpie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in high school and I'm really nervous about applying to vet school (which I know is crazy since I'm still in high school...). What's the best advice you can give me as to what I can do right now?
I shadow on weekends but school ensures that I never get to go otherwise:(
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just keep on shadowing, and don't worry too much yet. I only shadowed on the weekends when I was in high school too (and I still only get to go a couple hours a week now that I'm in college most of the time); so, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Get other experiences with as many types of animals as you can too during your breaks and such (farms, shelters, wildlife rescues, etc).

The main thing that I would reccomend is work on getting good grades because that will help you get into a decent undergrad and minimize your debt via scholarships.

Another thing that helped me a lot in college from high school was AP classes. I got a ton of credits from them which means I get to register for classes before other members of my class so I get better times and better proffessors. You might have to retake some science classes, but it will get you out of some core. AP chem helped me tremendously though becuase I had to take gen chem I and II anyways, but they were an easy As and I understood the subject matter better the second time.

Continue shadowing and start choosing your undergraduate school, if you haven't already. Do well in undergrad, do well on your GREs and continue to accumulate experience. You have a while yet before you need to worry about applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep on shadowing and get kick ass grades so you can get scholarships :)

Bravo on having choosing your future path already! Keep up the good grades, get a variety of veterinary/animal/anything experience (you have lots of time to mix it up), choose an undergrad college that offers the prerequisite (most do). I know it's early but I would recommend having a good idea of which veterinary colleges you want to apply to by the end of your freshman year so you can plan out your future courses to take. Of course also ace the GRE :)