1st time applicant; high GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skwalt

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Sarah and I’m from a small rural town in Southwest Virginia (very close to the TN border). I currently attend Emory & Henry College, a small liberal arts college in Virginia. I’m a first-time applicant and am applying to VA-MD, UT, NCSU, CSU, Auburn, Penn, Cornell, UGA, Florida, and Mississippi State. I really want to pursue equine general practice and return to a rural area.

Cumulative GPA: 3.87
Science GPA- ????
Last 45- 3.72

Degrees Achieved- N/A yet, will have my B.S. in Biology and a minor in Chemistry in Spring 2024.

GRE- not taking

Veterinary Experience (all as a shadow)
-approx. 240 hours small animal corporate practice
-approx. 200 hours equine independent veterinarian
-a small handful of hours at a spay/neuter, low cost clinic
-Both the equine and small animal vet are writing LORs on my behalf. Hoping quality over quantity turns out in my favor here….

Animal Experience
-Lifelong and collegiate level equestrian (reporting 500 hours ish)
-Much experience pet-sitting and caring for family pets also (reporting 1250 hours)
-Stable worker for 2 different farms (1000 hours)

Research
-Independent research and honors thesis on antibiotic resistance in feral, semi-feral, and domesticated horses in 5 states. Reporting about 700 hours. Awarded several grants, presented at multiple conferences, and won poster awards at regional conferences.
-Several honors projects encompassing healthcare disparities, lizard skull morphology and diet, and gene annotation of fruit flies. Reporting approx. 200 hours. Presented genetics project at a regional conference.

Extracurricular
-President of American Chemical Society Chapter, Vice President of Pre-Health Club (we don’t have pre-vet specifically) (200 hrs)
-Student Ambassador and Campus Tour Guide (100 hrs unpaid before being promoted to paid)
-Basketball Player (played in high school, travel, and 1 year in college) (>1000 hrs)
-College varsity equestrian team member (200 hrs)
-Member of other clubs (100 hrs)

Scholarships
-Honors Scholarship (highest academic award), Equestrian Athletic Scholarship
-Several research grants: Appalachian College Association, my college’s grant sourcing program
-Dean’s List (all semesters but this past spring (the B in OChem got me, haha))
-Conference presentations (2) and best undergraduate poster award at one.

Employment
-Lab Assistant, Microbiology (33 hrs)
-Supplemental Instructor for Genetics and General Biology (250 hrs)
-Admissions student employee and tour guide (continuation of previous unpaid position, 300 hours paid)

LORs
I feel like this is important. My LORs are coming from my Ochem professor, my research advisor, both vets I’ve shadowed, my academic advisor for biology, and my supervisor for my job in the college admissions office.

Overall Comments:
I recognize that my quantity of veterinary hours is a bit lower than the average, but I really feel like my LORs with both vets should vouch for my suitability and commitment to the profession. My personal statement essay is also very targeted at emphasizing this. That being said, I feel like I’m quite strong in other areas, but would be curious to hear what others think, particularly considering my list of schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Correction(extracurricular)
Lifelong equestrian I’m reporting (>5000 hrs) since I ride, show, and care for my horses.
Reporting 500 hrs for the collegiate equestrian team portion.

That being said, I feel like I’m quite strong in other areas, but would be curious to hear what others think, particularly considering my list of schools.
I am not sure I have a ton to add here because I agree with what you wrote for the most part.

Your research experience looks very solid. ECs seem good as well. Vet experience is definitely the biggest weakness of your app, although having a mixture between LA/SA + the horse research might help to alleviate part of this weakness.

The schools I'm slightly more familiar with would be CSU, Penn, and Cornell. Those 3 are pretty hard to get into OOS, but afaik I'd say you have a shot, and wouldn't discourage applying. NCSU is known to be pretty rough OOS but I'm not familiar with when one would apply vs not.

I think you'd have a decent shot at many schools, so I would strongly encourage you to look into the cost of attendance for where to apply. Which, is generally what the more experienced people on this forum say to use as decision factor #1. CSU/Penn/Cornell all fairly expensive schools. IMO it seems you want to stay east coast based on your list, could consider swapping out CSU for a less expensive school closer to home.

Reactions: 1 user