Advice for IM resident who is interested in transferring to surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MGoBlue13

Grizzled Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a unique situation and could use a bit of advice. I'm starting my IM residency at a top institution in July, and ultimately decided on pursuing IM subspecialty over surgery, although it was a very difficult decision that has left me filled with doubt.

I'm wondering if you all know of any IM interns who left to start a general surgery residency, and how they went about making themselves competitive during residency. I did well in med school (AOA, top 5 med school, step 1/2 >250), but have no surgery research. How does one get letters, etc. when they are in a different specialty from the one that they are applying to?

At this point, I'm not certain that I'll leave IM, but the thought keeps entering my head (probably because it was such a hard decision during med school).

Thanks!
-M

Members don't see this ad.

Uhhhh...don't do it?! ;)

While I have never known an IM resident switch to surgery, I have seen the reverse. Not that that helps you.

Research is not necessary, but can be helpful, especially at some of the more academic programs. Your best chance is at the same program you are doing IM at...unless of course, you completely blow it this year and everyone despises you.

IM often has elective time...perhaps you can get time in Trauma or SICU, which would put you in contact with surgery faculty, and in a position to ask for a letter of recommendation. While current faculty are preferred, obviously with the exception of the above, you won't have much chance to work with surgeons. Since you are not far out from medical school, it is not inappropriate to go back and ask some of your surgical med school faculty for letters (after explaining the change of heart...surgeons will love to hear that you "saw the light" after doing IM).

best of luck...

Thanks for the help. I'll see if it comes to this, and if my program will let me take an elective in a non-medicine discipline.

-M