ADVICE for Incoming Dental Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drnpp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for those of you that are in dental school if you can tell me which school you are attending and if your liking your experience or not, and why. That would really help me out in choosing a school to attend for next year! Thank guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

drnpp said:
I was hoping for those of you that are in dental school if you can tell me which school you are attending and if your liking your experience or not, and why. That would really help me out in choosing a school to attend for next year! Thank guys :)
I like attending UCLA SOD.

honestly when choosing a dental school I would choose it on price tag, location, cost of living. Other than that they are all somewhat similar, with the same product.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Every school graduates dentists. If you can save any money in loans due to a certain school being cheaper...then go there. As long as you can tolerate the school's location.

I go to UF and it is almost half the price of NOVA. Gainesville is not very cosmopolitan...but it is tolerable.
UFCD c/o 2009

hona said:
I go to UF and it is almost half the price of NOVA. Gainesville is not very cosmopolitan...but it is tolerable.
UFCD c/o 2009

that is smart. The way that I see it, the less loans, the more freedom in choosing what you want to do after you graduate.

I would advise you to go where you like it. Go where the school's vision and curriculum most closely match your own. Price can be an issue, but only if you have a sweet deal where you can live for free and pay in-state tuition of 7 or 8 grand a year. Other than that, you're going to come out of school with a lot of debt, so go where your 4 years are going to be most enjoyable. I love my school and where I live. It costs me more money than I ever want to think of, but so does everywhere else, so I am happy to be where I like it and where everything fits well.

Thats the conclusion that I came up with as well. I'm not worried about the money right now, because im married and my husband will be covering living expenses, misc., etc...and thats gonna save me a lot of money. So i guess what i'm mainly looking at now is where i would be happy and comfortable for the next four years. I was thinking where ever i go, i really want to have a good experience, and dont wanna come out of it stressed or hating the profession. I know some ppl have come out of school like that, and thats what i'm afraid of. Thats why i wanted to get some input from current students and how their experience is going. Thanks guys :D