Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agree. I have been asked many times what is an acceptable amount of loans to make dentistry financially worth it. I think paying $250-300k to become a dentist would not be bad choice. Any more than that, definitely not worth it.If you have 5-600k of loans to payback and considering how much schooling we went through I think it’s pretty in-touch 😀
As a new grad dentist right now I am able to save $3-4k/month (after paying all living expenses and student loans, my take home after taxes is a bit over $8k/month). @charlestweed, what would you suggest I do with this saved money? Should I put it towards a buying a house, even though I am not married and don't plan to have kids anytime soon? A 3 bed 2 bath house where I live costs $500k.This is a great advice for new grad dentists.
You should treat this $180k/year income as if it was only a $30-40k/year income and continue to live like a poor student for the next few years if you want to buy a house and set up your own practice soon. If you are able to save $3-4k every month (after paying all the living expenses and student loan bills), it will still take you 1.5-2 years to save $100k, which is not even enough for the required 20% down payment on a house. It costs close to $1 million to own a simple, 1200 sf, 3 bed 2 bath home here in Orange County, CA.
Most of my dentist and doctor friends are doing very well. But I do know a few of them who still have a lot of debts and they are at my age (50). That’s because when they were younger, they thought they made a lot of money and went out buying a lot of things…didn’t save…didn’t invest. You can’t retire with just a house that you paid off and have nothing else. Even with my house fully paid off, I still have to pay close to $3k a month (in property tax, insurance, utility bills, and maintenance)…and I have to continue to pay for all these until I am too old to live in it and have to move into a nursing home. This $3k/month payment may not be a lot to you right now because you are still working. But $3k will be a huge amount to you when you retire and have zero income.
RICH PEOPLE STAY RICH BY LIVING LIKE THEY’RE BROKE. BROKE PEOPLE STAY BROKE BY LIVING LIKE THEY’RE RICH.
