Advice for matching in Ophthalmology 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Penelopek2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Step 1: 240
Med Program: Top 10
Grades: passed all courses (pass/fail)
ECs: Nothing special
Research: Nothing Optho relevant :/
Letters of Rec: bigwig letter but not specifically in Ophtho

Hi Everyone, I'm a 3rd year looking for advice on matching in Ophthalmology in 2017. I decided fairly late in game to choose Ophtho as my specialty (about a month ago). While I received a okay score on my step 1, I haven't performed any Ophtho specific research and I don't have a relevant letter of rec quite yet...

I'm thinking about doing some away rotations in hopes of getting a rec, in addition to networking (I heard relationships can play a role in matching). I'm also considering doing some Ophtho research at the beginning of year 4.

Question: Do you think it's too late for me? Should I consider a gap year between 4 and intern year? Any advice on the away rotations?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You've got plenty of time and that top 10 school will make all the difference. Get involved in some research, or at least get a case report or two out -- they're dirt easy, and while you might not get it accepted, just having something "under review" is good enough. Also make sure you have strong ophtho letters; not necessarily from bigwigs, but definitely from people who know you well enough to do more than regurgitate your CV. Finally when it comes time to interview, make sure you line up a good range; don't get blinded by top-10 schools and leave yourself without a backup.

Good luck! You'll do great, I'm sure!

Reactions: 2 users