advice for MD app process applicable for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wishnhope

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was doing some browsing in the MD forum and I stumbled across this thread(Im sure many of you have seen it) on advice for applying to med school
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1153&perpage=25&highlight=official%20guide&pagenumber=1

There were a lot of good tips but I'm wondering how applicable is this to DO schools. Is the application process for DO a "crapshoot" like it is described by so many for the MD app process?
Is it really that imperative to get the AACOMAS in the first day it can be submitted, if not then how early is "early"?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Early application can only work in your favor. The earlier you interview, the more spots the school has open at that time and the more likely a less than stellar applicant will gain admission or waitlist.

Later in the process, they only have a few seats left so they are looking for the best of whats left...not where you want to be.

AACOMAS application becomes available online early summer.

Originally posted by wishnhope

Is the application process for DO a "crapshoot" like it is described by so many for the MD app process?
Is it really that imperative to get the AACOMAS in the first day it can be submitted, if not then how early is "early"?
Thanks

The easiest answer to this is yes. Jalby wrote it very well in that article.

I don't honestly think its imperative to send it in the very first day it can be sumitted but definatly early. Myself, I applied to both AMCAS and AACOMAS and had both primary applications done by June 15th. Secondaries came in July and were completed and sent back by mid august. This included time for lost transcripts by AMCAS and lost LORs by my school. Talk about panic time! I was in the first wave of interviews and I had been accepted around the 10th of October to my first school. That alone was worth applying early and was a huge relief. I feel for those on waitlists without an acceptance. I really do.

You will hear others say you can apply later and still get in. Its true and every year it happens. For me though, I like to be done with this process and get things going. Apply early and that way you can handle any crap that may happen to you during the process. AKA lost DO recommendation lettters, other lost LOR, messed up transcripts, long processing times by the services, and general other crap that may hold up the applications. just my .02.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Robz, I see that you turned down Meharry (MD) for NSU (DO). Nice.:clap:

IMHO applying early is the key. I sent in my 2? app to around the end of July. Had my interview mid september and was accepted 4 days later. It is much easier to get a spot when they are all available than it is when there are only a handful left. I just hope that the people that applied late in 2003/2004 admission cycle and did not get in will reapply early. Do I think the process is a crapshoot? Yes and no. I think there are things you can do to push the odds in your favor if you target a specific school. I was lucky enough to get 3 LORs from 3 alumni, 2 of which are adjuncts at the school, and one of them is an asst. program director. Meeting those peple was a crapshoot, just plain luck. Getting accepted wasn't.

Good Luck.