Advice for MD/Ph.D applicants (ECs, electives, etc.)

Started by david9317
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

david9317

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, everyone! I'm currently a sophomore chemistry major at a private institution in Puerto Rico. I'm interested in applying for MD/Ph. D programs after graduating, and I have some doubts on how I should prepare for the application process.

How important are ECs for MSTP applicants? I haven't done any volunteering so far, but I've done around 300 hours of research since February this year. Should I start doing volunteering/getting clinical experience or should I focus on research? My research is on materials science and I plan to apply to 2019 summer internship programs focused on biomedical research. My biomedical interests are along the lines of gene therapy, so I'm searching for programs that have mentors in this area.

Also, which electives should I take? I'm planning on taking Anatomy classes, Genetics and Molecular Cell Biology. Since many med schools now require applicants at least a year of advanced social sciences, should I take more of them? I've taken just one so far.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
You should continue doing research, and start getting in the hospital in some capacity. You get asked a lot: “What have you done to confirm your interest in medicine?” and you need to have a meaningful answer.

Summer research is a good idea. I feel it helps to do something only slightly related to what you’re doing now; it broadens your scientific thinking, and people are impressed by the breadth.

College electives don’t matter. Just keep your grades up. Choose things that are intellectually interesting to you and that you can be passionate about—it’s college!
 
You should continue doing research, and start getting in the hospital in some capacity. You get asked a lot: “What have you done to confirm your interest in medicine?” and you need to have a meaningful answer.

Summer research is a good idea. I feel it helps to do something only slightly related to what you’re doing now; it broadens your scientific thinking, and people are impressed by the breadth.

College electives don’t matter. Just keep your grades up. Choose things that are intellectually interesting to you and that you can be passionate about—it’s college!

I’m going to search for volunteering opportunities at a hospital soon, then. Thanks for your reply!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In general, any more than 100-150 hrs of physician shadowing/clinical is not useful for MD/PhD applicants. You just need enough hours by the time of interview to be credible that you want to be more than just pursue science (PhD). The focus in MD/PhD interviews is about your science ...
I would only add that you should get the clinical experience before you apply. I've run across several applicants this year for whom the shadowing was to be done in the current year. This begs the question of how they can write about their commitment to medicine when they have not yet experienced any significant clinical exposure.
 
In general, any more than 100-150 hrs of physician shadowing/clinical is not useful for MD/PhD applicants. You just need enough hours by the time of interview to be credible that you want to be more than just pursue science (PhD). The focus in MD/PhD interviews is about your science ...

Thanks for your reply!
 
I would only add that you should get the clinical experience before you apply. I've run across several applicants this year for whom the shadowing was to be done in the current year. This begs the question of how they can write about their commitment to medicine when they have not yet experienced any significant clinical exposure.

Yes, I see why. It could come through as box-checking and that's not what they are searching for.
 
Bumping this to ask for some additional advice: I’ve kept doing research at my home university and did a summer internship in Toxicology. Unfortunately, I thought I would study something else until after the internship, when I decided that the MD/PhD is the career path I want to follow. Since I had another plans during the past year, I’m yet to begin any volunteering. I plan to start really soon as I’m on my junior year and should apply by the end of next semester, but is it too late to start doing it? Or should I apply for another cycle?
 
Bumping this to ask for some additional advice: I’ve kept doing research at my home university and did a summer internship in Toxicology. Unfortunately, I thought I would study something else until after the internship, when I decided that the MD/PhD is the career path I want to follow. Since I had another plans during the past year, I’m yet to begin any volunteering. I plan to start really soon as I’m on my junior year and should apply by the end of next semester, but is it too late to start doing it? Or should I apply for another cycle?
You should do the volunteering soon. As you noted last year, waiting until the last moment will give the impression that you are merely checking a box. You need to convince us that you are truly motivated to combine clinical work with research.