Advice for MHA/MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyrae_04

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote this as a reply to a couple of threads, but just to increase exposure here is my question:

I was wondering if I could get some opinions from you all? I am set to graduate from OSU as a Biology major (originally set for med school, but have decided against it for the time being). My GPA is around a 2.95/3.0, Gre Quant. 151 and Verbal 152, Writing 4.0. Definitely not great grades/scores. The minimum for the OSU MPH/MHA apps are a 3.0 GPA, >50% percentile for both GRE subjects (I am 53% for verbal and 45% for math) and >4.0 for writing (I received a 4.0, 54%)

I have experience volunteering at a free clinic for a few months now, I volunteered a couple of times at the Ronald McDonald House, I am a member of AED, I was a co-founder and officer of Paintball Club, pledge class president of my pre-health academic sorority (dropped that), and have around 2-3 years of both volunteer and paid research experience.

I was considering applying to the MHA program here at OSU (can't afford to go out of state) but while this is more a business-directed degree, I *think* I would rather go for a policy-directed MPH program, but the only Health Services Management and/or Policy degree offered here at OSU is for those with a preexisting grad degree.

Sooooo... Long story long, based on my scores, grades, and minimal experience what should I do? Should I go ahead and apply to the MHA program because it won't hurt, try and apply elsewhere to get the degree that I REALLY want, get a degree such as an MBA and then apply to the HSMP program if they don't do away with it, or take a year off and retake the GRE/get some work experience?

Just looking for opinions here. The app deadlines for OSU is Saturday Feb. 15 and I have never felt more lost.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much for your response! I was wondering, are you getting your MPH as a terminal degree or getting a JD/MD/DO/PhD/etc? The more I read online, the more it seems an MPH alone isn't enough. In terms of career, what are you eventually wanting to do?