Advice for my Wife

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TechHusband

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. I have no intention of going to Pharmacy School, but my wife is seriously considering it. She goes to school part-time right now, but has also worked full-time to put me through school. I graduate in May, so now it's her turn.

She will have 73 credits at the end of the semester, but would need to start at the beginning with the sciences, so she'll have about three more years of undergrad work. Her GPA is currently 3.38, but she's a little more focused now than she was 15 years ago, so I'd expect that to rise (she has a 4.0 since she went back). She also has 15 years experience as a Tech in retail, mail order, and hospital pharmacies (inpatient and outpatient). She has hit the ceiling and is thinking about taking the plunge.

Any advice for her? How much weight would her experience play in admissions? Also, how important would getting a Bachelor's be?

Members don't see this ad.

I think she has a great amount of pharm experience which is good. Besides, if she can have a bachelor before she applies, she will have a much greater chance to get in. Many kids who got in my school have had a bachelor either in chemistry, or business, or Geography.
However, equal importantly, Pharmacy program requires a lot of time of studying and focus. Your wife must have a flexible schedule between work and school to be able to handle difficult both at pre-pharmacy and pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
So she'll start full-time school for her science pre-reqs next fall (or maybe summer)? My advice would be to have her get with an advisor at whatever school she currently attends and get the pre-req lists for whatever schools she is looking at for pharmacy. Then they can sit down and figure out how quickly she can get to where she wants to go - with 73 credits built up, 3 more years sounds like a long time to get the science requirements done (if she is going full-time), since most school only "require" about 2 years worth of pre-reqs.

Pre-requisites can vary wildly from school to school so it's important to figure out what you need to take and for whom you are taking it - but they are pretty much all going to require Gen Chem, Organic Chem, Biology, Math, and perhaps Physics. Unless she's going to apply at UMKC, which only requires 1 year of pre-reqs - they are a 5 year pharmacy school.

You also indicated that some classes may have been taken awhile ago (15 years or so?) - some schools will not accept credits after a certain length of time, but again, it varies greatly. Some will accept all credits, regardless of when they were taken.

I also assume that she will be taking the PCAT? Although I suppose if she is just starting the sciences, she won't be worried about PCAT for at least a year or more.

Yes, her experience should be a very positive point for her application, but as you know, she'll need the GPA (which looks great) and PCAT scores to go along with it. And if she already has 73 credits and is looking at a couple more years of school anyway, I would *definitely* go for the Bachelor's degree. It isn't required by most schools, but you can get a good idea by looking at the entering class profiles for schools in which she might be interested - that should show you how many students have B.S. (or BA) degrees. I'm in the Creighton distance program and I believe about 85% of our class (give or take) have at LEAST a Bachelor's degree (many have Masters as well).

Sorry for the novel - you should tell your wife to come check out the boards - there's a lot of good information and advice floating around here.

So she'll start full-time school for her science pre-reqs next fall (or maybe summer)? My advice would be to have her get with an advisor at whatever school she currently attends and get the pre-req lists for whatever schools she is looking at for pharmacy. Then they can sit down and figure out how quickly she can get to where she wants to go - with 73 credits built up, 3 more years sounds like a long time to get the science requirements done (if she is going full-time), since most school only "require" about 2 years worth of pre-reqs.

Pre-requisites can vary wildly from school to school so it's important to figure out what you need to take and for whom you are taking it - but they are pretty much all going to require Gen Chem, Organic Chem, Biology, Math, and perhaps Physics. Unless she's going to apply at UMKC, which only requires 1 year of pre-reqs - they are a 5 year pharmacy school.

You also indicated that some classes may have been taken awhile ago (15 years or so?) - some schools will not accept credits after a certain length of time, but again, it varies greatly. Some will accept all credits, regardless of when they were taken.

I also assume that she will be taking the PCAT? Although I suppose if she is just starting the sciences, she won't be worried about PCAT for at least a year or more.

Yes, her experience should be a very positive point for her application, but as you know, she'll need the GPA (which looks great) and PCAT scores to go along with it. And if she already has 73 credits and is looking at a couple more years of school anyway, I would *definitely* go for the Bachelor's degree. It isn't required by most schools, but you can get a good idea by looking at the entering class profiles for schools in which she might be interested - that should show you how many students have B.S. (or BA) degrees. I'm in the Creighton distance program and I believe about 85% of our class (give or take) have at LEAST a Bachelor's degree (many have Masters as well).

Sorry for the novel - you should tell your wife to come check out the boards - there's a lot of good information and advice floating around here.
The three years is basically because she is having a baby in March and doesn't want to push too hard at first. She will, however, be taking all of the prereqs and retaking the prereqs she has already taken. The Bachelor's is a possibility for sure, but it would mean taking a lot of extra credits. It would mean switching from a social science track to a hard science degree, or remaining on the social science track, but adding the science prereqs on top of it. I guess that will bear on her decision.

I say sign her up for SDN. Lots of good stuff for her here. Plus she won't have to talk through you.

I say sign her up for SDN. Lots of good stuff for her here. Plus she won't have to talk through you.
LOL, I will, but she's a little busy these days. Part-time school, full-time job, five months pregnant...

She'll probably appear here sometime around mid-March. :)

The three years is basically because she is having a baby in March and doesn't want to push too hard at first. She will, however, be taking all of the prereqs and retaking the prereqs she has already taken. The Bachelor's is a possibility for sure, but it would mean taking a lot of extra credits. It would mean switching from a social science track to a hard science degree, or remaining on the social science track, but adding the science prereqs on top of it. I guess that will bear on her decision.

Ah, that makes more sense. She should still be able to do a degree audit and see what she needs - if she's going to be taking/re-taking a couple years worth of classes, it might as well be moving her towards a degree. But, it has been many moons since my undergraduate years so I can't even begin to give advice on the best option. Ideally, it would be one where she gets accepted after completing her pre-reqs (with or without a degree) - and if she didn't get in the first time around, be in a position where she can get the degree in another year and apply again. Best of luck and congrats on the baby!

Can you ask her why she wants to become a Pharmacist?

I'm sure her reasons are complex, but from what we've discussed, it's like this: She became a Tech after clerking at a Walgreen's pharmacy because she found it interesting, liked the work, and enjoys helping people. She's also exceptionally good at it. Right now she is the senior Tech in IV and OR at a major hospital. There is no moving up for her as a Tech, so to progress, she either has to make a career change or become a Pharmacist. The pharmacists she works with think it would be perfect for her and have been encouraging her to take the step (she'll have some great LOR's when the time comes). She has always kept it in mind, but we weren't in the position for her to pursue it until now.

Her experience should help her a lot (although some schools may favor grades more than experience, just depends on the individual school) as will her awesome LORs. As long as she can get good grades and do fairly well on the PCAT, I don't see any reason why she won't be able to get in somewhere. :luck:

Your wife sounds like money in the bank if she can get those classes completed in an 'Acing' fashion. Good luck to you both.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not in a position to fully tell you what to do, because it is your marriage. However, I will tell you this, if she succeeds, then you succeed! So the best thing you can do is to support her through and through.
I think she is better off getting a bachelors degree first. If she goes at it with the right mentality, and with the right support, I can assure you that you will both have the best possible outcome (whether she gets in to Pharmacy school or not).
All the best comrade.
:oops:

I agree with RxLaw in that I think she should get her bachelor's degree first because the vast majority of the applicants that she'll be competing against will already have their bachelor's degree when applying. 3 years seems like a long time but it's not unreasonable for her to complete everything in 2 years. I worked full-time and took night classes before I went a semester full-time to knock out as many pre-requisites as possible. When she has the baby, maybe she can load up on the on-line classes so that she doesn't fall too far behind.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. I like hearing stories like this because I am also going back for my second career and I just wish I had the same motivation to do well in school when I was an undergrad as I do now.

Hello, all. I have no intention of going to Pharmacy School, but my wife is seriously considering it. She goes to school part-time right now, but has also worked full-time to put me through school. I graduate in May, so now it's her turn.

She will have 73 credits at the end of the semester, but would need to start at the beginning with the sciences, so she'll have about three more years of undergrad work. Her GPA is currently 3.38, but she's a little more focused now than she was 15 years ago, so I'd expect that to rise (she has a 4.0 since she went back). She also has 15 years experience as a Tech in retail, mail order, and hospital pharmacies (inpatient and outpatient). She has hit the ceiling and is thinking about taking the plunge.

Any advice for her? How much weight would her experience play in admissions? Also, how important would getting a Bachelor's be?

R you a pharm tech too? if so why don't you consider pharmacy school? It would be cool if you guys are classmates/husband and wife! :D

R you a pharm tech too? if so why don't you consider pharmacy school? It would be cool if you guys are classmates/husband and wife! :D
Are you sure? Husbands and wives need time away from each other so that they don't get sick of being around one another. Assuming that they're near two pharmacy schools, maybe they can attend two nearby schools. :)

Are you sure? Husbands and wives need time away from each other so that they don't get sick of being around one another. Assuming that they're near two pharmacy schools, maybe they can attend two nearby schools. :)

:laugh: Good point. I was joking about being classmates, but I think its a good idea for him to consider pharmacy school...personally I think a pharm tech works just as hard as a pharmacist (standing up all day, typing in/dealing with INSURANCE, filling scripts, answering phone calls, dealing with people etc etc...) that it would be crazy not to consider pharm school if you are really enjoy being a pharm tech...if you know what I mean. Why not get paid more for doing the same stuff?

Here, you'll find all sorts of advice. Granted, that's why you're here but believe me when I say that it is not so difficult to embellish your application. Your wife has so much experience and a 3.38 GPA is competitive! My advice to you and yes, it is one more advice, but IMO it is the most direct one: Research the school you are interested in by going here >>>> Pharmacy Schools.

Next, have her take her pre-requisites seriously and PCAT-proof her way to a respectable 70-99% score (to be truly competitive). The experience she has is golden and will speak volume on her application. When I applied to pharmacy schools (only in the state of Florida), I signed up here mainly because it was a pharmacy forum. I never asked stuff like what are your stats and things that are truly irrelevant to one's application. Every applicant brings something to the table. For me, I tutored math and English but I never worked in a pharmacy. I interviewed at two schools ( I was within the PCAT range and had an ok GPA). I accepted one and declined the alternate spot that could have gotten me in. I let someone else have that chance. Now I am an incoming P-1 student (Class of 2013).

Ultimately, I followed the requirements and I got in. Also, I don't even have a bachelors... but I got in. I'M GOING TO BE A PHARMACIST!!

I hope your wife gets in as it is truly a flexible and wonderful profession!

Last edited:
I'm not a Tech. My career path is information systems, and I'll be pursuing an MBA when I graduate.

Here, you'll find all sorts of advice. Granted, that's why you're here but believe me when I say that it is not so difficult to embellish your application. Your wife has so much experience and a 3.38 GPA is competitive! My advice to you and yes, it is one more advice, but IMO it is the most direct one: Research the school you are interested in by going here >>>> Pharmacy Schools.

Next, have her take her pre-requisites seriously and PCAT-proof her way to a respectable 70-99% score (to be truly competitive). The experience she has is golden and will speak volume on her application. When I applied to pharmacy schools (only in the state of Florida), I signed up here mainly because it was a pharmacy forum. I never asked stuff like what are your stats and things that are truly irrelevant to one's application. Every applicant brings something to the table. For me, I tutored math and English but I never worked in a pharmacy. I interviewed at two schools ( I was within the PCAT range and had an ok GPA). I accepted one and declined the alternate spot that could have gotten me in. I let someone else have that chance. Now I am an incoming P-1 student (Class of 2013).

Ultimately, I followed the requirements and I got in. Also, I don't even have a bachelors... but I got in. I'M GOING TO BE A PHARMACIST!!

I hope your wife gets in as it is truly a flexible and wonderful profession!

[Hey I got In PBA. But I am going to decline the offer because I am going to Nova.]

I agree with Gato. The most important thing your wife needs to do is to search for the school. Most schools have slightly different courses need to take. For example, Nova requires Economic 1 and 2 while others require Physic 1 and 2.

I would encourage her to apply before she gets a bachelors. It's worth it to take a shot and see what happens instead of wasting time if she doesn't have to. While more and more students are getting accepted once they have bachelors, there are still plenty of people who get in without one. If she doesn't get in, then she can keep working towards a bachelors.

I was looking at the requirements for admission and a BS in Biology. It looks like she can meet all of the requirements for admission to most schools in three years, and if she doesn't get in, can get a BS in another year and try again. Good advice, thanks.

I would encourage her to apply before she gets a bachelors. It's worth it to take a shot and see what happens instead of wasting time if she doesn't have to. While more and more students are getting accepted once they have bachelors, there are still plenty of people who get in without one. If she doesn't get in, then she can keep working towards a bachelors.

I agree with this also - my school accepes about 50/50 bachelors to not. I agree that the trend is that more and more applicants have the bachelors, but I think at many schools your wife's experience would more than counterbalance the lack of degree. Also, you mentioned that she is planning to retake all prereqs. I'm not sure why she would want to do that, unless your preferred schools will not accept her old prereqs. There's no reason that I can think of to retake anything the schools will take unless she needs it to prep for the PCAT (math, maybe?) You said that she will be taking the sciences new anyway, so that should cover the bio and chemistry portions of the test without a whole lot of extra studying.

Feel free to PM me if you want - I also went back to school after having children and pharmacy experience (although not nearly as much as your wife!).

There are only two classes she would need to retake (BIO 1 & 2). She has to because Colorado requires them to be taken no more than 7 years prior to beginning PharmD classes. Being that we live in Denver right now and I will be working here in all likelihood, applying there is a given, although we'd really like to move. Eventually, we plan to move to Hawaii, so Hilo is another school we've identified. She hasn't even made a decision yet, so all of this is very preliminary. Anyway, I will suggest she PM you.