Advice For new non-trad please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swisharoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats
BS Anthropology 2010
cGPA: 2.91
sGPA: 3.01
50 hours bio/horticultural research
50+ dental clinic hours
8 hours shadowing a DO
1 summer internship at top tier dental school
1 year as an orthodontic assistant
2 years Director of Operations for a large retail business. (Not science related)
URM with lots of community service in my community

Applied to dental school twice. No admittance. Grew up, matured, had a family. Realized I've always wanted to be a GP, but let family talk me out of it. I've got a long way to go, i'd like your two cents on the most efficient path.

So far..
DIY Postbacc at my local state university

Summer (while working)
Gen chem I A
Gen chem II B

Fall (while working)
Ochem I A
Biochem I B
Cell Bio B+
Physiology A

Spring (not working, studying for May MCAT)
Ochem II
Genetics
Biochem II

Apply to mostly DO schools in June. My state MD program as well.

Fall and spring 2014
Continue DIY postbacc.

*i'm not thrilled with my fall grades, but I worked my a$$ off

**most of my EC's are over three years old and geared for dentistry. Can/should I include them in my applications?

*** is a 3.7ish postbacc gpa going to cut it for a DO program. I did the math, my GPA's should hover around a 3.2/3.1 come June. Next cycle would be significantly higher.

****i think this cycle is a long shot, but the next one should have potential.

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say, yes, your GPA *can* cut it for a DO program, but keep at it, I'd say you still have some work to do. I'd recommend refreshing some EC experience and continuing taking courses to rehab your GPA. Don't stop just cause' you have the basic pre-reqs done. ACE your MCAT, seriously! I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with a low GPA, so the rest of your application better make up for it.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe the grade replacement will work well in your favor for the DO route. I second Quik's comment regarding updating your EC experience and including more medical related activities as opposed to dental. Volunteering is not required to only be in a hospital, but you have to balance non-hospital activities with ones geared toward your interests.

Also, instead of just re-taking your Science courses, think about which other courses most negatively affect your GPA and try to re-take some of those to help give yourself a few points bumped. I'd say re-take D's and F's first, but choose them strategically to allow for the most grade improvement. If you know you cannot do better, move on to the next class in your list.

I wish you the best on your journey.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. An excellent MCAT score will help. I'm wondering if it's time to start thinking smp or masters. At this point I haven't considered it because of my job and its flexibility. I also have a mortgage.. When are you taking the mcat?

I'm not up for the MCAT for another 18 months or so. I still have quite a few science courses to take as I was mainly focused on getting my transfer plan in place and feeling my way back into college. I think I'm going to be alright, so I'm jumping in next semester with 19 credit hours. *fingers crossed*

I agree. I had only one D that was a retake. As of now I have a C in anatomy, and a C in statistics. Also an F in a construction course? aghh what the hell was i thinking 9 years ago?? I could easily turn those into A's. retake? Or move on to other upper level sciences?

I agree. I had only one D that was a retake. As of now I have a C in anatomy, and a C in statistics. Also an F in a construction course? aghh what the hell was i thinking 9 years ago?? I could easily turn those into A's. retake? Or move on to other upper level sciences?

Definitely retake the anatomy and statistics since those are med school requirements (statistics isn't required by every school but it is recommended by many). I wouldn't worry about the construction course.

So sub biochem II and genetics for stats and anatomy?

DarthDoc was suggesting to re-take the C's you got, as you want your science GPA to be as high as possible. Plus since you're looking at the DO route they don't average out to a B, your C gets replaced by your A in their calculations. The subbing out of classes makes sense, as you don't need a year of biochem and anatomy will only gloss over what you'll go through as an M1.

As for your SMP vs Masters question, I'd say if you didn't get in, you'd likely have the most luck utilizing an SMP with a linkage, as opposed to a degree that won't help unless you want a job in that field outside of MD/DO. I've heard a lot on these forums that adcoms look at a Masters as a nice EC, but because of grade inflation don't weigh that GPA as much into their calculations.

Ok. Are there any other requirements for grade replacement other than same class name and same number of credits?

When during the year is it time to apply to SMP's? Spring? Any suggested link programs you all would reccomend?