WAMC non-trad, transcript repair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popppp

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'll try to keep this short. Posted previously about a year ago.

School: Pitt
Major: Neuroscience

I enrolled in 2 semesters at a university back in the fall of 2016 and spring of 2017. I was going through some pretty major issues at home. My first semester I had a 2.7. The next semester I left campus a week after the semester began and did not withdrawal from my classes so I failed my 4 classes. My school denied a request for a retroactive withdrawal but I plan to keep trying.

Long story short, I've done the math and I'll likely only graduate with around a 3.3ish (assuming I keep performing similarly) since grade replacement isn't a thing.

I re-enrolled in the spring of 2022 after getting my life in order. Since I have been back, I have averaged a 3.91 GPA with a 3.86 sGPA in 88 credits of classes with a higher GPA every semester. I have not taken the MCAT yet and have some shadowing/volunteer/research experience but will get much more this year.

How should I proceed (obviously assuming a stellar MCAT)? I plan on taking the MCAT in May. Should I even bother applying to any schools or just SMPs, etc. Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Post your MCAT score here when available. Where is your state of residence ? What are the hours for your ECs?
Will do.

I live in PA.

I've done research at a hospital for 2 semesters now. About 30 hours so far shadowing surgeries. Only about 10 hours of hospice volunteering so far but plan on getting that way up this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Previous

Posted here before and received a ton of help. Ill try to keep this brief.

Lot of family issues freshman year, failed an entire semester as I left campus and didnt wd, failed some CC classes, then took 5 years off and have achieved around a 3.92 in 97 credits since I've went back to school. Currently sitting at only a 3.0 AMCAS GPA and will only like graduate with around a 3.2 next year. Taking the MCAT in a few weeks, scored 520 on my last practice exam a month ago (but I am confident I can increase this, at least slightly). AMCAS opens May 1st obviously.

Where the hell should I even bother applying? Just SMPs? I could use any help I can get! Advisors are not very helpful

Thanks a ton.

Post your MCAT score here when available. Where is your state of residence ? What are the hours for your ECs?
I don't take the MCAT for a few weeks but I scored a 520 on my most recent practice test a bit over a month ago (but I am very confident I can increase this at least a bit). I'd wait to post my actual score but AMCAS opens May 1st. Any suggestions?

And to reiterate: ~40 hours shadowing surgeries, 2 semesters worth of research in a neurophysiology/neurology lab, ~15 hours hospice volunteering

@popppp how much have you added to your volunteer and extracurricular hours since your post in March?
If you apply this May without enough in this aspect of your application, you might not have a good cycle, and you won't know if it was due to your GPA or your low hours in activities.

@popppp how much have you added to your volunteer and extracurricular hours since your post in March?
If you apply this May without enough in this aspect of your application, you might not have a good cycle, and you won't know if it was due to your GPA or your low hours in activities.
Not much. Just around 5 hours shadowing and 5 hours of volunteer work. Been focusing mostly on MCAT studying and school work.

I would delay til next cycle so you give yourself a decent chance with ECs. Get a full or part time clinical job and work a few hours a week at a soup kitchen and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't take the MCAT for a few weeks but I scored a 520 on my most recent practice test a bit over a month ago (but I am very confident I can increase this at least a bit). I'd wait to post my actual score but AMCAS opens May 1st. Any suggestions?

And to reiterate: ~40 hours shadowing surgeries, 2 semesters worth of research in a neurophysiology/neurology lab, ~15 hours hospice volunteering
Your clinical volunteering hours are far too low to apply in May. You should have 150+ hours before applying. You also need 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
Your clinical volunteering hours are far too low to apply in May. You should have 150+ hours before applying. You also need 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.).
So would it be better to wait til next cycle or to apply to SMPs in May?

Personally don't think you need a SMP with a smart school list. But def sit out one more cycle.

Appreciate all the help guys. I guess I'll prob push back the MCAT til august or something then since I wont be applying this cycle.

So would it be better to wait til next cycle or to apply to SMPs in May?
Yes, you need another year to accumulate the needed clinical and non clinical hours. You could do either a SMP or a DIY post bacc at a local college where you take undergraduate level science courses in order to increase your sGPA.

Yes, you need another year to accumulate the needed clinical and non clinical hours. You could do either a SMP or a DIY post bacc at a local college where you take undergraduate level science courses in order to increase your sGPA.
Yep guess I will have to weigh my options this time next year. Gonna be hard to increase my uGPA much tho just mathematically which is why I was leaning towards SMP. Just hoping I get lucky and end up not needing the SMP but won't get my hopes up lol

Would this include MD or you thinking just DO? Like is there any chance of MD if I wait another cycle you think?
I think so, esp at your state schools and low-mid tier places. Some schools are starting to look more at trend / last few years vs entire career academics. I'm also an applicant so don't take my word over the actual advisors here though.

I think so, esp at your state schools and low-mid tier places. Some schools are starting to look more at trend / last few years vs entire career academics. I'm also an applicant so don't take my word over the actual advisors here though.
appreciate the help regardless and good luck to you too man