Other OT-Related Information Advice for non-students seeking shadowing hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wm273

Reaction score
Hello all!
I currently work as a Clinical Research Coordinator in a hospital. I want to begin my shadowing hours asap, however, I wonder if this will be a bit difficult to do as I am no longer a student. My current plan is: 1) contact hospitals to volunteer (applications are currently closed but I did reach out), 2) reach out to the MDs with whom I work to inquire if they know the OTs, and 3) reach out to admissions offices for advice.
Is there anything else I can do?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I had zero connections so I just had to Google “occupational therapy volunteer” opportunities in my area. I found a few and reached out to them all. You can also try VolunteerMatch.org

Good luck! :)

I don’t think it should be a problem at all! I researched OTs in my city by searching on google, made a spreadsheet with their location information, and then contacted them. I either emailed or called, but explained that I am a “prospective occupational therapy student” and I had several offers. The easiest opportunity came from a physical therapy facility that has plenty of locations in my state. I was able to set up shadowing a hand therapist there with no paperwork or waiting. I just called them and they told me to come in the following week!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just looked up therapy places and starting calling and emailing all of them asking for shadowing hours. Word of mouth helps a lot too if you know OTs or people that can connect you with OTs.

Hello all!
I currently work as a Clinical Research Coordinator in a hospital. I want to begin my shadowing hours asap, however, I wonder if this will be a bit difficult to do as I am no longer a student. My current plan is: 1) contact hospitals to volunteer (applications are currently closed but I did reach out), 2) reach out to the MDs with whom I work to inquire if they know the OTs, and 3) reach out to admissions offices for advice.
Is there anything else I can do?
Thank you.
Hi! I linked online shadowing resources here :