Advice for Non-Traditional Applicant (Active duty military PA to MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_wild_moose

Reaction score
Current active duty Army PA looking for advice as I close in on applying to USUHS. For background: finished undergrad (biology) in 2015, served as a Army officer in a non-medical capacity for 4 years, finished PA school (through the military) last October. Already regret not doing med school instead of PA school. Just need 2 semesters of organic chem w/ lab, 2 semesters of physics w/ lab, and MCAT to apply to USUHS.

I am currently deployed and have tons of time on my hands (literally only seeing 2-3 patients per day for generally minor issues) so I want to maximize this time. I am trying to decide if I should go all in on MCAT prep and take the MCAT in Jan 2023 when I get home or do a semester online for O chem and physics. I probably would not be able to do the online lab requirements here unless there is an option where the lab is virtual only and doesn't even require kitchen stuff. I'm curious to hear what you all think about taking the MCAT before having O Chem and physics under my belt. Is it reasonable to learn everything I need on those subjects with a MCAT prep course/Khan academy? I did do the whole O chem course on Khan academy before PA school and had a biochem class w/o lab during PA school as well. Time is no issue over the next 6-7 months. Once I get home I will be working full time again and have family obligations (married, one child, one on the way), however.

Seems like I have three options for my deployment time:
1. Self directed O chem and physics studying with thorough MCAT prep. Take O chem and physics courses in spring and summer 2023.
2. Take both semester of O chem and physics online while deployed without labs. Do labs in spring 2023. (I would need to find self paced online classes in order to get both semesters done).
3. Try to find online classes that have virtual labs of some sort and don't require any resources besides a computer.

Very appreciative of any advice you all may be able to provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Army officer, chem eng major, graduated w/o taking biology or biochem. Took biochem while deployed through a decent school's remote ed program, and took bio w/ labs for two semesters on return. Took both biochem and one bio class before taking MCAT, wish I had taken both bio classes first or a better bio-1 class. Admitted this cycle to four schools. It can be done. Best of luck! Go Army Beat Navy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The labs are not nearly as important as the lecture classes. Taking the MCAT, an exam that will make your career as a physician without having taken the classes is a risk fully under your control. Additionally you should have a biochem class prior. Pic up the labs later as they will be required for prematriculation. In your position as a serving officer and PA it may be worthwhile to contact UHUHS directly as you are certainly not the first solider to have this issue

Thank you for your service
Thanks for the reply. I did take biochem w/o lab during PA school. I also forgot a key piece of information. I don't have a lot of predictability over what my unit will be doing over the next several months. There is a decent chance that my unit will end up moving which could cut me off from reliable internet. That is the main reason why I am hesitant to commit to formal courses at this time.

I also figured if MCAT doesn't go well I can always take it again after I complete the rest of my courses but I'm not sure if that's a bad plan.

I took bio chem in Afghanistan at an FOB with very iffy access. you’ll be fine to sign up. Professors will work with constraints on internet if you ask.

I'm sure. It's a bad plan.
Thanks for the reply. This is why I came here! I will probably just try to knock out a semester of o chem and physics while I'm deployed then. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reply. This is why I came here! I will probably just try to knock out a semester of o chem and physics while I'm deployed then. Thanks again.
You can definitely get it done. Order study guides from Amazon; they'll deliver to APO addresses.