Non-MD faculty interviewer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oatmilkplease

Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but what would be the best way to address non-MD/PhD faculty during an interview? Using their first name? Or Ms/Mr. X?

The reason I ask is because I had an interview a couple months back where the first thing I said was "Hi Dr. ___" and their immediate response was "Oh, I'm not a doctor" (there was a last minute switch up with my faculty interviewer so I didn't know who they were and what their background was beforehand). Was super awkward after that.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can never go wrong by starting off with "Dr." in a faculty interview (if you don't know their honorific).
In a non-clinical setting it is expected that PhD's are addressed that way.

Even if they correct your assumption, it's still a good place to start. You will be right 99% of the time. That's better odds than most things in life.

Reactions: 6 users
You can never go wrong by starting off with "Dr." in a faculty interview (if you don't know their honorific).
In a non-clinical setting it is expected that PhD's are addressed that way.

Even if they correct your assumption, it's still a good place to start. You will be right 99% of the time. That's better odds than most things in life.
I agree, the alternative (using Ms. when it should be Dr.) is much worse. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
When someone corrects you and says "I am not a doctor", they are setting the record straight, not chastising you. Accept the correction (e.g., "got it, thanks for the clarification") and move on without feeling badly about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
May I suggest starting with Dr. as has been pointed out, you'll be right >90% of the time and not faulted if you are wrong. Switch to "Professor" if the person is a member of the faculty but says, "I'm not a doctor" or you look them up in advance and know that they are not a doctor.

Ms. or Mr. is the best default IMO if for some odd reason, the person is a staff member and neither a doctor nor a faculty member.

Reactions: 1 user
May I suggest starting with Dr. as has been pointed out, you'll be right >90% of the time and not faulted if you are wrong. Switch to "Professor" if the person is a member of the faculty but says, "I'm not a doctor" or you look them up in advance and know that they are not a doctor.

Ms. or Mr. is the best default IMO if for some odd reason, the person is a staff member and neither a doctor nor a faculty member.
Yeah, so I have an interview coming up this week where I'm 100% certain that one of my faculty interviewers is not a physician/PhD. Should I just go with Mr/Ms. in this case?

No sorry, not faculty in that way I guess. They are just one of the deans of admissions/financial aid
Ms or Mr. seems fine in that circumstance. Don't use last name without an honorific and whatever you do, don't use the first name alone. I was astounded that an applicant addressed our Associate Dean, a woman old enough to be their mother, as "Joanne" .

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Most likely going to go unnoticed or unremarked upon. The instance I'm referring to was where an applicant was assigned to be interviewed by a physician who had a title of "something-something Dean for something" and the applicant opened with something like, "Nice to meet you, Joanne". Different ball of wax than a long email chain.

Reactions: 1 user